You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air leaks

So these ultrasonic leak detectors are basically sound amplifiers?
I was thinking they would alert on the specific frequency that an air leak put out. Not sure if an amplifier would work out for me since I have certain high frequency loss.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Not sure what leak detector you have, but mine has a light graph on it for the hard of hearing. It shows a green light if no leaks and then lights up a yellow light strip if a leak is present. The stronger the leak the more yellow lights light up. The yellow lights usually come on by just sticking the leak detector in a compartment with a leak and then gets stronger as you get closer. Makes it easy to find exactly where the leak is located.

Disclaimer: Not every one has had the same positive experience with my leak detector

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Made a believer out of me, plus I am a nut for owning tools - must be a security blanket thing. Ordered a Inficon Whisper yesterday on eBay.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Just a little background info:

When I got my Newell it was apparent that I had an air leak(s) somewhere. I asked around as to how people go about finding their air leaks. Unanimously I was told to make up a spray bottle of soapy water and spray away. I did so. I found no leaks, but did end up very wet and soapy. I again posted about air leaks and someone on the forum suggested an ultrasonic leak detector. He stated he had used one professionally. I had never heard of such a tool. On blind faith I looked for an affordable leak detector.

The very first compartment I opened I found two leaks. Both were pin hole leaks in the weld of the small air tank. I had not found either of these leaks with the soapy water. I repaired both leaks, but it was still apparent that I had another leak(s) some where as the 110V air compressor ran about every 15 minutes. I went through every compartment and totally checked the undercarriage--nothing. I went inside, put the tool under the dash by the drivers foot area and it was apparent I had another leak. The leak ended up being two slip style air fittings on the brake pressure valve. I replaced both fittings with the compression style and the leaks were fixed. At this point my system was close to air tight--110V air compressor just ran a couple times during the day. Obviously I was very pleased with my new tool as I had found four leaks in about a hour that had gone undetected in hours of using soapy water.

Every good thing must come to an end and two years ago my 110V air compressor began running every 30 minutes or so. Got out the leak detector and found the leak in the 3rd compartment I checked. The slide seal shut off valve next to the low pressure regulator was leaking. Installed a new shut off valve & leak was fixed. Last year my 110V air compressor began running every 15 minutes. 2nd compartment I checked I found the air dump valve connection leaking. Fixed. Still had a leak, but quickly found that the right "down valve" in my front six pack was leaking. Fixed.

For me this tool has saved me many hours of searching as I can inspect the complete air system in about a hour. Just beware that there are others who have purchased the same tool that I have and have not been as pleased. Richard suggested using a better earphone than the one that came with the tool and in my case that made a very positive improvement.

Now you know the rest of the story.............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

So I first used the detector like Steve and the instructions suggest. My light bars didn't light up on leaks, so the thing went back in the box and I concluded it was a dud. For some reason later I tried using it with the supplied headphones and I could hear leaks. A ha!

Forrest, I think there is some frequency shifting technology in the device. The noise I hear when it locates a leak is a loud roar in the ear buds.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

In using my ultrasonic leak detector more & more I have found a couple of things that have helped me in finding leaks. At Richard's suggestion, I now use Ipod type earbud earphones that are much louder. As the leaks have gotten smaller I have found that I am more successful in searching much slower than I did when I had big leaks.

Just a couple suggestions..................................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531