You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

NEED HELP! What was my brother working on?

i have been in contact with them and am going to meet them where it is stored and have a look early next week.

should be interesting

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Everyone,

I've been busy moving things from brother's place in AZ to CA......I spoke to his wife and she said she does not believe that he converted anything but the appliances in the RV is European or foreign.

I emailed motorcarelease.com as that is where he bought it from to see if they can shed more light on it.

So I contacted someone from Motorcarlease.com and the previous owner before my brother, was a US resident and had the RV in Indiana and his assumption is that it was converted already but he's not 100% sure.

I won't know until I can get it looked at.....

Another question: Because we've been moving everything from AZ to CA, my wife had to unplug the RV charger since no one has been at the house so keep electricity cost down, any chance once I head back I can just plug it back in to charge the RV??

If you can get it started, the engine alternator should recharge the batteries, both house and chassis. Assuming the plug is a standard 50 amp RV plug, hopefully the system has been converted over. In less there was some special equipment at the house where it was plugged in, it should work or the damage would have already been done.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

if he had a 50amp rv plug it is no problem to leave it plugged in. with nothing on other than the charger it will consume very little electricity

you can also charge off of a 15 or 20 amp outlet but it has to be a non gfci outlet.

you have my number, call me anytime.

tom

Mystery solved with the AC Generator, that last pic in the original post was the old unit he pulled out, found a pic of that old unit on his computer...met up with Tom and his friend last weekend, thank you again for showing me the basic operations and giving me the history of what Newell my brother bought. 

I hope it starts when I head back to AZ sometime next week.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

it was great meeting you. i hope it starts when you go back later this month. the batteries were in rough shape.

i also wonder about the fridge and washer/dryer being 220v or 120v.

you have my number

tom

Just an update:

I replaced the two main batteries and was able to get it to start, the entrance door works but the stairs do not retract. Could it possibly be a fuse that blew out? if so is the fuse box located inside or in one of the outer compartments of the RV?

When you turn on the key the stairs should retract. If it’s like ours: There is a fuse in the front panel in front of the passenger seat. There is also a diagram of all the 12-volt fuses for the front, center bay, and rear closet. Calling Newell also is very helpful, just remember their service center is closed on Friday Mon-Thur 7-4 as I recall... you can disconnect the stairs and use straps to hold them up but be extremely careful under that coach - it will squish you like a bug...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Also check the panel at the entry door. Some Newells have a switch there that disables the step.

And, since the coach has been sitting for a while, it could be locked into place by corrosion. Most of the motors that drive the steps are torque limited, so a frozen step mechanism just stalls the motor. Have an observer look and listen for attempted movement while you open and close the door.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )