You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

torque for wheels

no it can not in any way. mine takes 10cfm at at least 90 psi.

i would not suggest using your 3.4 inch electric. you will likely break your wrist.

i have a big shop with a huge compressor and airlines run all over.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So the question about can you run a 1" impact from the coach got me curious.

Here is the data on a little experiment I ran. The short answer is yes. The longer answer is that with a 1 inch Klutch (northern tool) gun on a 1/2 inch airline with 1/2 inch quick disconnects the gun would remove or install exactly ONE lug nut before you had to wait two minutes for the engine to charge the air back up. So, you would take twenty minutes to remove ten lug nuts. Much quicker to break them loose with four ft bar, and spin them the rest of the way off with a 1/2 electric impact wrench.

I know, I know, but inquiring minds wanted to know.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I don't like the potential for damage that comes with impact wrenches. So, I use a torque multiplier with a cordless drill to remove the nuts (with a 78:1 ratio, there is very little stress on my wrists, but plenty of power to break things loose).
I use the cordless drill to seat the nuts when reinstalling the wheels & you must be very careful when using the torque multiplier to pre-torque the nuts so as to not exceed rated torque. I finish off with a torque wrench.

There is no need for compressed air, but it will require a bit of effort. . . .

So there are many options to choose from.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

I use a Milwaukee M-18 3/4 impact.  It removes and installs my wheel nuts with no problem.  I check them with a Snap On 600ftlb torque wrench.  A pattern of the wooden support tool would be nice. ?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Here’s a functional but redneck one. It was copied from a very nice one shown by another guru.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

06 M450LXi 3 slide