You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Battery Charger not working

Here is something to think about. On my coach, I have two battery bays also, but I only have one disconnect switch. My disconnect is on the negative side, but that point does not matter in the point I am going to make.

I have a positive lug in the upper right corner of the front battery bay. There are FOUR cables attached to that lug. They are the cable from the batteries in the front bay, the cable from the batteries in the rear bay, the cable that leads back to the merge switch in the rear panel at the engine, and the cable that is attached to the inverter.

The cable that leads to the merge switch is the pathway for all 12V to coach systems such as lights and Aquahot.

I know what you have is working. If I were in your situation, I would take the time when it is convenient, to disconnect all the positive cables at each end. I would then ohm them out to identify them with certainty. Labeling would be nice at the battery bay end.

Once labeled, you could then attach the cables in a configuration that would allow you to disconnect either battery bay, but still maintain the other bays connection to the inverter/charger and the merge switch. Right now, I am not sure you are wired that way. I'll draw you a sketch and post tomorrow when I'm not sleepy. Bank 1 needs to be attached directly to switch 1, bank 2 directly to switch 2, both switches, the merge cable, and the inverter/charger cable need to be connected after the switches. So you would actually have five cables on that lug.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, let me rest a day or so (plus we have to move the coach to a different site today) and then I will tackle the batteries again. I noticed on Tom’s coach that the fuse link was placed inline differently than mine (I think his as on the ground wire). I also talked to an electrician at Newell and he suggested, but could not verify, that some coaches were possibly wired with the disconnects on the positive side like mine due to the engine but I’m not sure how that would matter (we have an S60)... maybe when the batteries are all merged for starting? I have no idea if that is true or not...
I will improve my drawing this week and re-post when I get it done...
I re-read your post and I believe I am basically wired the way your coach is - everything going to one lug. The batteries are daisy-chained (parallel?) to each other rather than all running from the lugs (which I think would be better).
I have to figure out why the batteries are charging when they are all on the same switch vs two separate switches. I need to ohm out the second switch to test it - maybe it’s bad.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I hve the Freedom 458. The invert function is off. Charge light is on. The unit doesnt seem to put out any volts nor amps Is there a reset someplae?? Invert works perfectly..
I really would like to charge my brand new AGM/GEL batteries!

Thanks,

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I have learned not to trust the indicator in the kitchen - the best way to check the batteries is to disconnect them and measure with a volt meter. I don’t think there is a fuse on the freedom inverter. You might try disconnecting everything and letting it ‘reset’ - I think that is what Newell told me to do and that seemed to reset it. Of course you can always call Newell…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40