You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic jacking /cribbing

I got mine from Gray Manufacturing in St Louis , 25T stands and 25T jack.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Nothing wrong with wood cribbing. I have done it MANY times to support the full weight of the coach. Cross stack it as you build each layer as Kyle suggested. You don't have to buy the fancy dan jack stands to be safe.

A lot of us have them for convenience. I stole an idea from @"rheavn" and put mine on jack stands when I come home for the winter. Just makes it less fuss for a quick trip under.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Ride height control arms??

Robert Lemon
South Florida
Coach #1426

Robert,

I am not sure I understand your question as it relates to the thread topic.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I was curious if that was the cause of your leak...sorry for my vagueness.

Robert Lemon
South Florida
Coach #1426

Apologies for not posting my findings before now . With invaluable guidance from Richard I gained a better understanding of the air system . There were actually three leaks that I was able to define , still have an ongoing search for an intermittent ,  small leak . 
(1) Left air bag leaking down when parked . Hose fitting at the exhaust / lowering valve for the left rear had a small leak . This was a compression fitting , probably installed when the coach was built . I replaced the fitting as well as the hose and lower fitting with DOT push connect fittings ( sorry Richard ! ) . Leak solved . 
(2) Using my cylinder leak down tester I found there was a 16% leak somewhere that I wasn't reaching with the bubble stuff ( Richard ) . Found that the Pressure Protection Valve atop the "wet" tank was leaking . Replaced the PPV , still had 2% leak . 
(3) The compression fitting for the 5/8 hose going into the air dryer/ heat exchanger was leaking . Again I used a DOT push connect fitting to stop the leak . At the same time I installed a new AD-9 air dryer , which has helped the oil venting issue . 
At that point there was zero leak indicated on the tester , but there is still an intermittent leak somewhere . After driving a few hundred miles the pressure stays up for three days or so , but then starts dropping . Firing up at home the pressure will be about 25psi after about twelve hours . Much better than before , but I want to correct this . The suspension now stays up . 
 It sounds like the Rally was a success and everyone had a great time ! I hope we can attend next year , if you all have one . 
In my humble opinion , this forum is populated with First Class Folks ,
Thank you ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

In the spirit of the thread , I should mention that I used a HF 30T air/ hydraulic jack for lifting . Started with a piece of half inch aluminum , 2'X3' under the jack . The aluminum cracked . Went to 1/4 steel , 2'X2' with a 90 on one side , no worries . All this atop Bama dirt and gravel . Cribbed with treated pine 4X6s at the upright the sway bars connect to and behind axle . Also used the 12T jack stands at engine cradle and hitch mount . Learned from here that 12T means total for both jack stands ! Did not know that !
Thanks again ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Chris, where are you located in BAMA? We are in Madison (near HSV).
Thanks for the cribbing and steel plate info! I need to do that!
How hard was it to get the PPV off/replaced? I need to do that too!!!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

On the '86 the wet tank is just forward of the differential . I put cardboard on the diff , then sat facing the front , back against the diff and was able to get to the PPV without much trouble . On the old '86 goggles are a must because of all the years of accumulated crud . Wire brush handy as well . The PPV has a couple of fittings , easy to access , as well as two wires for the warning light . Screws right into the tank . The local truck shop had the valve in stock , less than $20 if memory serves .
We are in Jasper .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Thanks Chris, my PPV is at the front :-( I have seen it and it looks like a daunting place to get to - I think it is above the front ping tank... Jasper, AL is about 2 hours from us so maybe we can catch up and get some dinner on a week that I am in town. I’m starting to travel home every other week hopefully soon.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40