You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bottle Jack

Paul, you are going to need someone with a ZF suspension coach to weigh in on support placement. Most of the conversation in this thread has been about ridewell suspension coaches

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-21-2023, 06:42 AM)Richard Wrote:  Paul, you are going to need someone with a ZF suspension coach to weigh in on support placement. Most of the conversation in this thread has been about ridewell suspension coaches
Most of the time I do not use a jack.  I lift the coach as high as the air springs will go and place large pieces of pipe cut to fit under the coach.  The front of the coach has a frame rail on each side of the generator with a tow hook on each.  I put the pipe under those rails.  The rear has some framing on each side behind the tag mudflap.  I put the pipe under that.  That works on hard surfaces but I have to put something under the pipe on dirt or grass.

I use the jack when a tire has to come off but rarely otherwise.  I am small enough to fit and nimble enough to crawl through the suspension.  Here's a photo of me using the white pipe while working on my last coach.  The pipe is 5 1/2" Diameter X 3/8" Thick.  Length is 10 1/2" for the rear and 13 1/2" for the front.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

Maybe I am a wuss, but even with properly placed 22 ton jacks, I fear the Chinese metal will just crumble and create a splat on the concrete of my body. I have thick wood blocking but the darn things weigh more than I do. A plan was made with my wife aboard and a pit was dug. Doesn't solve all the underneath repairs such as wheels needing to come off, but at least the crucial things can be addressed.

--Simon
1993 8v92TA #312

One strong caution...don't ask me how we know...

If you elect to use the "AIR UP" procedure by lifting the coach with the bags, and THEN jack stand it in place...

When you exhaust the air from your bags, the axle drops down, stretching the bags from their seats. You stand the chance of popping the bags off their beads; just like a tire.

When this happens, you will have NO WAY to lift the coach, or even the axles, to reseat the bags...unless you have a jack.

Therefore, be very mindful of letting the axle "hang on the bags" unless you have a Plan B (a jack).

Steve & Janice Vance
2015 Newell #1524
Glendora, CA

(01-21-2023, 02:07 PM)CaptainGizmo Wrote:  One strong caution...don't ask me how we know...

If you elect to use the "AIR UP" procedure by lifting the coach with the bags, and THEN jack stand it in place...

When you exhaust the air from your bags, the axle drops down, stretching the bags from their seats. You stand the chance of popping the bags off their beads; just like a tire.

When this happens, you will have NO WAY to lift the coach, or even the axles, to reseat the bags...unless you have a jack.

Therefore, be very mindful of letting the axle "hang on the bags" unless you have a Plan B (a jack).
That's a good point.  If you have Vibracoustic Air Springs they are a multi piece assembly which may unseat.  I have some Firestone bags which are one piece and although they can't unseat, Firestone has a warning about over extension of the bag saying it may reduce its lifespan and a warning of the possibility of the bellows blowing out of the crimped bead.  Firestone suggests using an upstop such as a cable or strap to prevent that.  My last coach had strap upstops.  One is visible in the photo I posted earlier beside the white pipe.

Jim
2014 Newell Coach 1482 Mid Entry 45'8" Valid Slides and Valid Levelling

(01-21-2023, 09:55 AM)BusNit Wrote:  Maybe I am a wuss, but even with properly placed 22 ton jacks, I fear the Chinese metal will just crumble and create a splat on the concrete of my body. I have thick wood blocking but the darn things weigh more than I do. A plan was made with my wife aboard and a pit was dug. Doesn't solve all the underneath repairs such as wheels needing to come off, but at least the crucial things can be addressed.

Thank you and I tend to agree. Actually, your thread showing your Pit build was awesome and I had been contemplating that option since reading your posts several weeks back. And... I am having a concrete contractor come this Friday to look at pouring a pit... but depending on the cost I may have to save up my allowance for a while in a "pit" fund.

I definitely feel safer seeing how the Guru's crib your coaches before I get under mine trying to figure out the safest way to support it.

Thanks!!!  Paul  

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

(01-21-2023, 07:35 AM)hypoxia Wrote:  
(01-21-2023, 06:42 AM)Richard Wrote:  Paul, you are going to need someone with a ZF suspension coach to weigh in on support placement. Most of the conversation in this thread has been about ridewell suspension coaches
Most of the time I do not use a jack.  I lift the coach as high as the air springs will go and place large pieces of pipe cut to fit under the coach.  The front of the coach has a frame rail on each side of the generator with a tow hook on each.  I put the pipe under those rails.  The rear has some framing on each side behind the tag mudflap.  I put the pipe under that.  That works on hard surfaces but I have to put something under the pipe on dirt or grass.

I use the jack when a tire has to come off but rarely otherwise.  I am small enough to fit and nimble enough to crawl through the suspension.  Here's a photo of me using the white pipe while working on my last coach.  The pipe is 5 1/2" Diameter X 3/8" Thick.  Length is 10 1/2" for the rear and 13 1/2" for the front.

Thank you Jim. Would my 22Ton OTC Jack stands work in the same location as you have the pipes? 

Paul and Angi
Addie and Scout (our GSP pups)
2007 Coach #1202
2020 Gladiator toad

Sitting at the tire shop again listening to the guys try to figure out how to get the front wheels off the ground to install balancing beads (Southern Tire Mart) … I read through this (old) thread and still do not see any recommendations for placement of the stands in the front :-( please help me help these guys…
Talked to Newell: In the front there is a metal plate that attaches to both A-Arms - put the jack there to get both tires off the ground.
The mechanic here at the shop has it under the ‘knuckle’ which looks like the bottom of the A-Arm to someone that knows not of what he speaks…

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe what the tire shop should do is support that side of the coach with their large jack at the same point we all use for jack stands, etc. and then they can use a small jack to purely lift the tire. Pretty sure that is what I did when I changed air bags on steer as well.

Kinda scary a tire shop could not figure that out if they are changing truck/bus tires on a regular basis.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

(10-26-2023, 09:04 AM)pairodice Wrote:  Sitting at the tire shop again listening to the guys try to figure out how to get the front wheels off the ground to install balancing beads (Southern Tire Mart) … I read through this (old) thread and still do not see any recommendations for placement of the stands in the front :-(  please help me help these guys…
Talked to Newell: In the front there is a metal plate that attaches to both A-Arms - put the jack there to get both tires off the ground. 
The mechanic here at the shop has it under the ‘knuckle’ which looks like the bottom of the A-Arm to someone that knows not of what he speaks…

Did you ever get your answer? I'm back at the coach til Sunday mid-day and will help show you if not

Arch & Mary Jones
1997 Newell #463
Williamsburg, VA or Gettysburg, PA 
depending on what day it is