You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Slide stop switch failure

Our slide seal had come loose from the glue and we were using the trusted Newell method of spatula & Windex to push the seal back into the slot. We were at Lazydays in Tucson and decided to have it fixed. They chickened out and we made an appointment with Newell.

As we retracted the slide, the seal blew and there were a series of loud banging noises during the retraction.

Didn't put the slide out again until @ Newell.

As Newell deconstructed the slide to change the seal, they noticed both slide locks were bent into the coach at about 45 degrees and that the seal failure had been caused by the rear slide lock pin puncturing the seal. They then looked on the slide roof and found rows of punctures along the path of the slide locks. Two of the slide solenoid s were also damaged

As the slide retracted, the slide locks repeatedly punctured the slide roof.

Cause: a switch that stops the slide on its inward travel had broken and sent out repeated "the slides in fire the locks" messages.
Ain't hydraulics amazing??.??

Repair was pretty straight forward: bend the lock mechanism back into position, install new seal, repair slide holes with epoxy, long strips of metal, pop rivets and more epoxy, replace switch, and lots of fussy work adjusting the slide. New switch, two new solenoids, new seal, and lots of labor

Lessons learned: not really. The stop switch either works or it doesn't. No test.

Glad we went to Newell for the repairs.

Phil & Judy Horton
'98 Newell # 470

hi phil. did yours have the rare earth magnets on the top of the slide next to the hole for the pin to go into to?

that causes problems sometimes too.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(04-14-2013, 11:02 AM)encantotom Wrote:  hi phil. did yours have the rare earth magnets on the top of the slide next to the hole for the pin to go into to?

that causes problems sometimes too.

tom

No magnets

I have a leak around my bedroom slide ceiling and discovered there are two puncture holes in the top, apparently from the slide locking pins. When the slide is extended, you can just see the holes close to the coach.

It sounds like it might be what is described here, the switch that tells when the slide is fully in and to engage the pins. Where might I find this switch? Anyone know?

Thank you,
Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

Alan,
Raise the bed and there should be a rectangle panel in the floor of the bed's basement. The lift actuator may be attached to one end of that panel....proper support of the bed is in order here. The slide mechanisms and switchs are under that panel

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

And it's going to be counterintuitive, if it's like mine. The switch closest to the driver side is the in switch, and the one closest to the passenger side is the out switch. But no two Newells are alike. I am just indicating you should look carefully at how the slide goes in and out to determine which switch to adjust or replace.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Does anyone have a part number for these stop switches? I have my bed out and I want to replace these before one gets stuck again.

Thanks,
Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson
Dallas Tx

Newell #485
1998 2 slides

https://www.grainger.com/product/HONEYWE...Swch-6DXC7

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )