You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

First Tow Vehicle

Good Morning,

Kristi and I have been running silent for a several weeks as we had been working with Newell to trade our two coaches in on one they had for sale, #744. Newell has been addressing a few items on 744, we’ll post pics when we get it home. 

One of the things I can report on was installing RoadKing Shocks all around. I did get a chance to drive it after the install... all I can say is fabulous!! Well worth the investment.

Last week Kristi and I started talking about what tow vehicle we’d look for. I wanted versatility and thought a Jeep Wrangler would be fun. To my surprise she agreed. We looked around town and of course on the Internet. I stumbled across a one owner 2014 Sport with 41500 miles. It had just came in so I contacted the dealer. After a few text exchanges I made a fair offer. 

Last Thursday I jumped in my 2002 C5 Corvette, drove to Tulsa, and was back home before dinner with our new tow Jeep... I will miss the Corvette but I’m sure the Jeep will provide us with more adventure for manny years to come... and of course I can zip around town in it.... Most importantly... Kristi Love’s it!

I’m going with the M&G brake system on the Jeep and the Demco Excali-Bar II tow bar setup. Jeep makes a wiring harness that hooks directly into the Jeep’s electrical system and operates the taillights. I also ordered new taillights with amber turn signals to match the Newell. 

Any advice on towing is always welcomed... this will be our first time. 

Can’t wait to get 744 home and move forward. 

Take care, JK 

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

i use the m&g and have always had good luck with it.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My pilot buddy here that has a Blue Bird Wanderlodge put one on his Jeep JK four door and said it worked great.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

We have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with the M&G braking system and we have been happy with this set up. 

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

As a pilot, I don't need to say this, but develop a checklist for towing, and use it.

Failure to unlock the steering, unlock the tranny, or secure pins can have disastorous results.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yes... my friend and I were discussing it. Since we both will be towing Jeeps we’ll developer one together. It’s really a good idea for any activity with a coach.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Does anyone have trouble with road debris hitting the tow vehicle? 
I’ve read that with mud flaps they do a good job of protecting the tow vehicle. 

If anyone uses another method I’d like to hear about it.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

I do not. I did have a lot of trouble with debris when I had another brand. The Newell sits so low to the ground that anything that comes out from under goes under the tow car.

I have towed the Subie about 50K miles. I do have some stone marks on the front bumper but they blend in with the other patina.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I’ve thought about having a wrap placed on the fron of the grill and hood if the wrap material can provide protection.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

I think Richard hit on it, the coach is so low the mud flaps become really effective.  I tow a Wrangler and haven't experienced any significant rock chipping.

Jack and Dianna Hunt
Coach #663
2003 - 45' triple slide