You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

First Tow Vehicle

Great!
I’ll be installing base plate soon so I’m getting closer.
Thanks for the help.
JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Back in January 2013 we were heading to Big Bend National Park, traveling on a Texas 2 lane road that had recently been "chip & sealed" for about 50-70 miles.  At that time we towed a Honda Element with no protection.  When we got to our destination and went to unhook, I found gravel had filled the resessed areas around the windshield wipers, the winshield looked mildly sandblasted, and the entire front of the Element had a multitude of stone chips.  Other than that, no problem! It was too late for that vehicle.  We just continued using it without any protection, but lost A LOT in trade-in value.

Months later while in Montana, we decided to switch to a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited so we could better explore areas that required a high clearance vehicule.  I was determined to not repeat our experience, above.  Bought a CAR TOW SHIELD from Coastline Manufacturing (I think they are now called RV and Off Road).  You will find them on the internet.

It cost $400 at that time and worked great .... but, every time you want to remove it you have to wipe it down to remove the road grime so you don't get filthy as you fold it up to store it.  IT DOES WORK EXTREMELY WELL, THOUGH!  We used it for 2 years, with NO damage to the Jeep.

Since we sold the "Rolling R Ranch", we have had several other motorhomes.  We still tow the Jeep but have not used the Car Tow Shield.  Instead we use a MoPar 2 pc. "bra" for the front.  Works just fine.  I still have the Car Tow Shield but am sure I will not be using it.  If you think you want to try it, contact me.  I will let you have it for $200 plus shipping.  It's like new.

One last thought.  Why protect your Jeep at all?  If you intend to use it for it's designed purpose, it's going to get chips and scratches;  "Texas Pin Strips"  and such.  WEAR THEM AS A BADGE OF HONOR!

Happy Trails.

Jerry B.

Jerry & Barb Bommarito
Former Custodians of the "Rolling R Ranch"
Newell Coach #500 

I’ll look at the bra. I thought of that also. Offered to have it wrapped to be a continuation of the coach but my dear wife shot that down also... 
I’ll research the rock shield. 
Thanks, JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Like Jerry, I have the coastline cover. He is dead on, you will get filthy taking it off, unless you wipe it down. Works great, but is a lot of trouble if you move a lot.

I should have added, enough bother that I don't bother any more. Next winter, I will have some truck liner tinted to match the bumper, and the front bumper and rocker panels will get painted with the truck liner.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have the Roadmaster tow defender. Works great

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH