You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Coach #227 : Any info available

Hi all!

I am still new here and have posted a couple of questions and now I am at the point where I believe I am about to purchase a Newell.  Specifically coach #227.  I am putting a deposit down on it this week and was curious if anyone had any information on this coach, or, in the alternative, any information specific to a 1990 Newell that I should no about?  By this I mean in regards to something from that time period.  For example is there’s one thing I should  know about the heat or furnace, brakes, or any other system being used at that time.

Any info would be appreciated.  I would say that I am aware of the 8v92 engine and was inquiring to other systems or equipment used on that specific coach or on one from the early 90’s.  Any history on the coach would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Morgan Baron
Still coachless in NY

#227 was registered in Birmingham, AL in November of 1992 and had 48,421 miles on it. It was registered in Reynoldsburg, OH in August 2011 with 63,680 miles and in Pataskala, OH in 2013 (mileage unstated at that time). The ad I saw in December 2018 on lexington.craigslist.org stated it has 66,000 miles.

If all of these mileages are valid and I have no reason to believe they are not, it had 73% of its current miles put on it during the first 2 years of its life and an average of less than 1,000 miles a years since then. That is very low usage during the last 18 years. Unless they have been replaced very recently, I would expect at least new tires, batteries, and possibly the refrigerator will need to be replaced. That coach was built with an RV style ammonia refrigerator which have a limited lifespan (my 1992 is on at least its 4th refrigerator). #227 was built with 2 8D starting batteries and 2 8D coach batteries and 11R24.5 tires. H rated tires are recommended, especially on the steering axle. Bridgestones seem to work well on coaches with the 11R24.5 tires.

The photos show 3 roof airs. It may have been built that way or with 3 basement air conditioners which were changed later. The photos appear to show a coach in very good condition for its age. It should have the Detroit 8V92 with the Allison HT740 4 speed automatic transmission and a 12.5 kw Kohler generator. I has a tub/shower. It is 42' 0" long. The coach is similar to my 1993. The TV in the front overhead has been replaced by a larger flat-screen TV. The photos do not indicate if the bedroom TV has been replaced. As I do not see furnace vents on the sides, it may have the propane fueled Primus water and interior heating system that preceded the AquaHot in Newells. Parts for those units are getting difficult to find.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Wow, thanks for the quick reply and amazing amount of info on that specific coach. I can provide some additional info or confirmation.

It does have the Primus heating system, which I have read is hard to find parts for. I was also told that ithey are unreliable. Eventually I will look to replace it. It does have flat screens front and back as well as what seems to be an in motion satalite system. It also does have the shower/ tub. Tires and batteries were all changed in the last couple of years (1 and 2 respectively); the tires are Michelin’s from what I can see in the photos and both should be good for the time being. The refrigerator has been updated at some point.

I will be signing the purchase agreement today and hopefully completing the purchase in May. I have spoken to the people in Kentucky, and the owner from Ohio is on this forum and replyed to a previous post about this coach. I will try to attach some photos the owner provided me later this evening in case they provide any further insight or evidence of error on my part or if nothing else for curiosity’s sake. I do notice that the brake pedal is different than those I have seen on other motorhomes; it is more similar to an automotive brake pedal, a very small one at that.

It does appear to be in very good condition, and I do believe it spent its life stored indoors up until about a year ago. I have not seen it in person but will be flying out to see it and have an inspection. Was going to call Motorhomes of Texas to see if they send techs out for the inspection.

Once again I appreciate all the information and help and look forward to adding a coach # to my signature line.

Morgan Baron
Coachless in NY

Thanks Morgan. Do verify that the front tires are H rated as otherwise, the front end will likely be overloaded on G rated tires. Do you know if the roof AC units were part of the original build? Some of the earlier 1990 models did come from the factory with roof airs but then Newell switched almost exclusively to basement airs until about 2003/2004.

Newells have historically used a passenger car styled brake pedal to make it feel more like a car.

Good luck with the inspection and closing. Looks like a nice coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael for the incredible knowledge base. I am not sure about the ac units but will try to find out. Very interesting about the brake pedal, I had no idea.

I am still working on getting those pictures up but thanks again for the info and the well wishes, I will keep all here informed as I don’t think anyone else can appreciate how excited I am about getting a Newell.

Thanks again

Morgan Baron
Coachless in NY

Would anyone know what I could expect as far as net carrying capacity (ncc) on this coach? A foretravel I was looking at with similar proportions had a ncc of almost 10,000lbs, am I wrong to assume something similar on this 1990 42’ Newell?

Morgan

My 1992 (43'6") has a shipping weight that is 8,200 pounds less than the GVWR per the Certificate of Origin. Shipping weight would not include fuel or propane.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

If it has an 8v92 make SURE that the compressor coolant lines have been changed recently (or at all). The 8v92 is a great engine but this will kill it dead if they let go.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40