You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Polarity light on

while trying to work on 469 I noticed the 110 was off. After plugging into the 110 outlet polarity light was on have never seen this before. Do I have a problem the volt gauge seemed normal. One other thing is where we plug in is 110 with ground fault so we had to remove ground prong . It has been this way for a year. Thanks Joe

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Joe, are you using adapters to get down from your 50 amp coach power cable  to a straight blade 15 or 20 amp 120 volt power source ?

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Yes I am. In fact I have been using the same one for at least 1 year. As I said where I park there are outlets every 20 ft they are ground faults. So to be able to plug in you have to break the ground prong off. It has worked this way for a year.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell

I would test the receptacle you are plugging in to for proper polarity. The danger of improper polarity in 2 wire 120 volts is that your devices in your coach are actually switching the neutral not the hot. Because of this, devices in your coach, when switched off actually have 120 volts going to them.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Ok I just got back from the coach I tested the outlets with the multi meter and looks as all is good so now I am going to stack the plugs and the cords will let you know the results.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell

Here goes I cut the 30 amp cord where the 50 amp plug is. There are only three wires black,white,green. Now since this is a 50ft cord I would like to save it so I think I know how I should wire the new outlet any help is appreciated.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell

joe, i think you ought to call jim endres

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hi Tom I did yesterday but he has been so busy I have to wait I think the problem is in my cord. I will stop and get new ends and dog bone today.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell

Joe, your VOM should be your friend in quickly determining if the cord is an issue. Just ohm out the two ends to confirm if a short, break, or cross wiring exists.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael I went and got all new plugs and will check the cords first before installing them

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell