You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Smart Thermostat

With all the Electrical Engineers and other that know way more about electronics than I do on this forum surely someone has looked at putting a Smart thermostat in their coach.
I’m talking about a Nest or Ecobee (my favorite) thermostat so we can monitor our coach or get alerts if the temps are too high or low inside.  
I mean, after all, the main reason we bought all of our coaches is so that they are glorified, expensive dog kennels... 
Anyone try this yet?  I know the wiring on our t-stats is odd but it can’t be that much different considering we basically have regular home a/c units, right?

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

I think one of the issues you'll face is the smart thermostats require 24 VAC power source.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

The wiring of our thermostats is a very simple four wire setup used with any two stage AC unit.

There are six wires coming out of the Tstat that you need to be concerned about. Fan Lo, Fan High, Comp 1, Comp 2, Heat, and Ground. I go into this detail so that you can check potential Tstats against this requirement.

As Clark said, those signals have to be 12VDC, not 24VAC. Most house systems are 24VAC.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

On the topic of thermostats, I have the 5 button Duo Therm that has become rather quirky. Zone 1 on heat has become the culprit of not kicking on anymore. It was rather erratic before it quit entirely. Zone 3 works fine and the half bath will push heat to the front. I've cleaned the board to no avail. Do I need to locate and clean some sensor or is it time for a replacement thermo?

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)

First, confirm that it is a tstat problem. Gain access to the tstat terminals and measure voltage at the terminals appropriate for the setting.

You could have an Aquahot issue, not a tstat issue.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, we'll get a read on that and see where that takes us.

Tony Van Helden
2003 Newell #646 2 slide
Tow 2017 Grand Cherokee Trail Hawk
Citroen Charleston  2cv
Spencer, Iowa (summers)
Mesa, Az. (winters)