You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dump valve solenoid leaking

Gurus,

I left my dump valve open for a day or two and I just realized that my dump valve solenoid is leaking air.

I just happen to have ordered a spare solenoid and have it...but it is a lot different than the old one.

Here is the old.  (Leaking from the exhaust valve)

Here is the new

My question is what do I do with the wires?   I assume the center air port is the supply and the other two go to the dump valve.  Is the thing on top for an air muffler?  Will the old ones just screw on or do I need to order a muffler?

Has anyone tackled the replacement and have experiences to share?

Also, I tried to manually push down the plunger of the valve but could not budge it. If I pull the air lines, will I be able to move it. (I need to close it so that I can make my way to the rally).

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

that valve is still available. why did you get a different one?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

https://www.zoro.com/aro-solenoid-air-co...7AodUwgA3w

Just put the coils on, mount it, attach air lines & you're done.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Tom, do you even know me?!!! I don’t know why I ordered the wrong one!!! Smile

I bought the one that Dupree was selling. Oops!

I closed the air muffler and leak stopped....AND I was able to close the dump valve.

Will head to rally and order new stuff when I get there.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Gurus,

I followed the link that Steve posted.  Zoro shipped quickly for around $125 plus 2 day shipping.  (I ordered two).

I had to remove the water faucet stand to be able to access the solenoid valve.  Here is what I did...
0) Turn off the 120V compressor and dump the air in the system.
1) Use green tape to mark the two air lines that go to the the Dump valve.
2) Use green tape to mark the coils.
3) Unscrew the knurled screws that retain the coils and the coils.  (Move them out of the way)
4) Use a 9/16” wrench to remove the nut holding the top 1/4” air line to top of the valve.
5) Remove the screws that hold the valve to wall.

At this point the valve can be moved so that you access it easier.  

6) remove the bottom air lines that go to the dump valve

At this point the valve can be moved to your workbench.

Move the brass fittings from the old valve to the new valve.

NOTE:  Don’t use teflon tape on air operated systems.  It is much better to use joint compound.  The reason is that bits of the tape can come loose and travel in air system and block small orifices.

Once you have all the fittings reassembled, follow the steps in the reverse order.  

All of this worked exactly the way that you would think.  Super straight forward and easy.  (Well it was a little awkward to remove the old valve).  Here is where I got stuck.

I put it all back together, and turned the 120V compressor back on.  No air in the system.  A quick check of the pressure gauge by the engine confirmed no air.  Hmmmm

I left the compressor on for a while, but no air pressure built up.  Finally, I cranked the engine and put on high idle.  It quickly built up pressure and then held pressure.  I turned off the engine.  (The dump valve worked properly).  It seems as though the 120V compressor was making air, but it took a long time to fill the system back up.  Maybe there was a check valve stuck?  In any case, cranking the engine cleared the problem and all is good now.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

btw, if you order the same valve with 24vdc coils, it is 22 bucks cheaper. just take those coils off and put the 12v ones we already have on.

tom

Solenoid Air Control Valve, 1/4 In, 24VDC
ARO
|
Zoro #: G2774816
|
Mfr #:
A212SD-024-D

got it for 95 bucks shipped using a coupon code.

dunno why it is cheaper to buy with the 24vdc coils than it is with no coils on it but who cares

tom

in installed this valve and put my 12v coils on it in place of the 24v ones that came with it. worked fine

tom

Just an update (as if anyone doubted Tom) I bought the 24v valve off Ebay for around $50, installed it and, voila', no more air leaks! Now I have to figure out why the 12v system won't build air...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

In addition to the 24vdc coiled valve, another P/N to file in the memory bank..... ARO Fluid Power A212SD 120 A 958.  This P/N has 120vac coils but with the same air valve as the 12vdc and 24vdc coiled ones.  Picked one NOS off Ebay for $35 plus shipping.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL