You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to replace window felts

Gang,

I have been having problems with my drivers side window making noise.  If I manually grab the slider window, I can wedge it in a way to make it quieter.

I have found a very close match to the window felt, but cannot figure out out to replace.  

Has anyone done this and have advice?

Thanks,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

http://www.luxurycoachlifestyle.com/foru...indow+felt

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have had widows that were hard to slide since we bought the coach. I have applied  rv window slide lube to no avail. I don't think my window felt is anything like what I see in these pictures. Ours is a 3 sided felt that is too thick for the application. Several windows are not able to slide at all, even with a good tug from widow suction cups.

As soon as spring arrives a little more, I am planning on removing a window and see if I can get thinner felt.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Thanks for the link Richard. I could see the pictures but no instructions are visible. The link from Michaels website is dead.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

You pull out those plastic runners under and above the window, you then lift the window up, and remove it.

Use one of the hooks to pierce and then pull the old felt out.

Getting the new in is a chore. The bottom of it fits in a track on either side. I slipped it into one track, and used the curved hook pointed away from the direction of travel to finesse the other side into it's track.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Here is the new link for the document referenced in the ten-year old post.

http://www.newellowner.com/wp-content/up...ipping.pdf

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Gurus,

I tried to follow the instructions in the previous posts regarding my window. However, my Storm-tight windows are a different design. No luck at all with removing the sliding pane of the drivers window.

Upon inspection, Richard Entrekin and I found that the window slide had vertical movement as well as lateral (left and right looking at the front of coach) movement.

We cut pieces of super big zip-ties and used super glue to adhere them into the window channel. We glued the ties so that the smooth part was against the sliding pane. Two layers on the bottom raised the window up to remove the vertical movement. One layer on inside edge of the top track removed the lateral movement.

Now the window glides open and close AND since the window is pressing against the felt, no more window noise going down the road.

Sorry...no pictures were taken.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

"I have had widows that were hard to slide since we bought the coach. I have applied  rv window slide lube to no avail. I don't think my window felt is anything like what I see in these pictures. Ours is a 3 sided felt that is too thick for the application. Several windows are not able to slide at all, even with a good tug from widow suction cups."

"As soon as spring arrives a little more, I am planning on removing a window and see if I can get thinner felt."

Guy and Sue, check with Keith Frerichs (@Retro), he has located a window felt that works with the classics. I've tried several different felts on my 86 and still haven't gotten the correct combination. Classic Window Replacement.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

We can't thank you enough for that contact info !

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59