You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

air conditioning run capacitor replacement size

The starting capacitor for the middle basement Duo Therm a/c unit has finally given up. 35 years is a good run. It does look original and unmolested. I thought it prudent to replace the start and run capacitors at the same time, although the run capacitor meters out just fine. Both replacement capacitors are smaller than original, although the run capacitor is 1/3  the size of original, but has the same spec 370 volt 5 uf or mf. Is it because the originals were made in America and the are Chinesium? Am I missing something? I have not installed these yet because of these questions.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Guy,

If you are replacing with the same MFD rating and the same voltage rating you will be OK.

Obviously disconnect the power, and confirm it is disconnected with a voltmeter. Then take a screwdriver and short the terminals on the capacitors before digging in there. It could save you a nasty shock, those caps pack a wallop.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard. That is a lesson I learned a few years ago. It really gave me a zap.  I was able to see the spark going to my finger.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59