You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Coolant-Detroit Diesel Series 60

Do you know what coolant you are using?  Remember color means nothing.  Are you using a conventional coolant that requires checking sca's and draining every 2 years or an OAT formula, extended life coolant that requires draining every 6 years?  Remember using the wrong coolant or not maintaining the coolant system is one of the few things that CAN DAMAGE your engine.

Here is the DD approved coolant list.

http://ddc.tei-net.com/approvedlistprint-93k217.asp

Here is DD Coolant document.

https://ddcsn-ddc.freightliner.com/cps/r...2_2017.pdf

Approved list:

Detroit Fluids Specification 93K217 Approved Coolants List
DISCLAIMER: Product registration means the manufacturer or marketer has faithfully collected information pertinent to the requirements of the specification and with the full intention to conform to the specification. However, it is still the responsibility of the manufacturer or marketer to ensure satisfactory performance of its products in all aspects at all times. Registration for Detroit Fluids Specification 93K217 does not waive the liability of the manufacturer or the marketer. DDC does not warrant the performance of non-DDC products, registered or not.
Company Name
Product Name
Inhibitor Technology
Detroit Diesel Corporation
Power Cool
Conventional
Detroit Diesel Corporation
Power Cool Plus
Organic Acid
BP Lubricants
Castrol Heavy Duty Coolant
Conventional
BP Lubricants
Castrol Heavy Duty Extended Life Coolant / Antifreeze
OAT
Caltex
DELO XLC A/C
OAT
CCI CORPORATION
CCI L1415
OAT
Chevron Lubricants
DELO XLC A/C
OAT
Cummins Filtration
Fleetcool EX
Conventional
Cummins Filtration
Fleetcool
Conventional
Cummins Filtration
Fleetcool OAT
OAT
Cummins Filtration
ES COMPLEAT OAT
OAT
Daimler Truck and Bus Australia Pacific Pty Ltd
Alliance Primecool GP P40
OAT
ExxonMobil
Mobil Mining Coolant
Conventional
ExxonMobil
Mobil Heavy Duty Coolant
Conventional
ExxonMobil
Mobil Delvac Extended Life Coolant
OAT
Old World Industries, Inc.
FINAL CHARGE Global Extended Life Coolant
OAT
FLEET CHARGE Fully Formulated Coolant
Conventional
Power Cool
Conventional
Power Cool Plus
OAT
Prestone Product Corporation
Prestone Command® Heavy Duty ESI Antifreeze/ Coolant
Conventional
Raloy Lubricantes S.A. de C.V., MX
Antifreeze Raloy G30
OAT
Shell Global Solutions
Shell Rotella Ultra ELC
OAT
Shell Global Solutions
Shell Rotella ELC NF (Nitrite-Free)
OAT
Shell Global Solutions
Shell HD Fully Formulated Phosphate Free Antifreeze / Coolant
Conventional
The Valvoline Company
Zerex G30
OAT
The Valvoline Company
Zerex G40
OAT

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve, I switched over to an OAT based coolant when I changed the rad/CAC. I like not having to keep up with the SCA testing. With OAT coolants, you use a “blank” coolant filter.

One of the huge issues with buying a coach is that you may not know what coolant is in the system, and there are no easy methods to determine which coolant you have. As you have stated, color means nothing. My thoughts for any new owner without documentation of the coolant used is to drain the system and fill with the coolant of your choice.

This is a great topic to bring up. Thank you!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

And while you have the coolant drained use one of the camera probes to see what the inside looks like - mostly checking for rust or calcification (anything else I forgot?)...

Richard - that first link is not working; may be a database server error since it’s giving an ODBC error (SQL Server probably)...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

My head is overloaded with this information. Can I assume that this spec applies to our old 8V92 2 cycle? If so, which oat based coolant will I find most available? I am guessing I will need to go to a heavy duty truck shop to buy it?

I have no idea what coolant is in the coach. The service receipt from the Detroit Diesel shop in Sioux Falls reads , " 24 gallons coolant." It is green, That narrows it down to 40 possibilities.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

Correction !!!!  My memory chips are corrupted, I have corrected the name of the coolant I use.

Call the shop in Sioux Falls and ask what they use. Confirm it is an SCA type coolant by testing it with the SCA “nitrate” strips. That would tell you if it is the normal green SCA based coolant. However, if that was the coolant put in when the engine was rebuilt, that was over five years ago, and you may be due for a change.

I use the Final Charge OAT because it is widely available, even at some Walmarts, and most Autozones.

Keep in mind that ALL engine coolants are ethylene glycol based. The only thing we are talking about is the additive package that keeps the coolant from cavitating on the cylinder liner and eating through the liner.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Thanks Richard.
I am embarrassed to admit that while I was fighting a leak going to the cab heater I added automotive prestone coolant. I will drain the system, refill with distilled water, run to operating temperature ,drain the system and refill with Fleetguard oat. Cheap insurance. I don't see any fittings to bleed air from the system, so I will just refill and bring to operating temp, cool down, check coolant level and repeat.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

For those using the conventional coolant, sca testing on a regular basis is very important.  Using the right test strips is also very important.  Remember, color will not tell you whether it is conventional coolant(sca required) or an OAT formula coolant.  Do not use a sca release coolant filter with OAT formula coolant.

Here is some food for thought...................................................

https://www.acustrip.com/sca.html

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Richard, what test strips do you use and where can I find them? I was not aware of having to make these test and only assumed I had to use the same color anti freeze.
Thanks

Dario Perini
Coach #581 2001 45'8"

I do not use test strips because I use an OAT based coolant.

You need test strips for coolants with SCA additives.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Coolant was one of the most confusing maintenance items for a Detroit 2 cycle for me. A year and a half ago. I took Richards advice and flushed out the old unknown green coolant and replaced  it with  Final Charge OAT which I found at Walmart. For a simple guy like me I liked the fact that it had a diesel truck on the container . I was in a very remote area of South Carolina at the time. No Autozone or Track Auto stores near. Each Walmart carried 4 gallons of it. After visiting 5 Walmarts in 3 weeks , I  had the needed 20 gallons. No need for test strips. change it out again in 3 or 4 years. 

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59