You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

VDO fuel sending unit

This is a caution for anyone installing a new sending unit. A few months ago, I went to a lot of trouble to install a new fuel sending unit in my diesel tank. A trip in December revealed that the fuel gauge always registered full. I replaced the gauge but still had the problem. Finally I decided that the new VDO sender was defective, so I ordered another. The new one came with a small sticker that said to remove the safety pin. Sure enough, the new one I had previously installed did not have this small instruction sticker, so I did not know to pull the tiny pin. Now the original one works and I have a spare sender and gauge.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Chester,

Great post! Thanks for the info, I'm sure you have just saved someone a great deal of trouble.

ThanksBig Grin

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot

Wow, love it when it's a simple fix. Hate it when I've been the cause of the problem!

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hey Chester!
Still have that spare fuel sending unit? Or know where to get the correct one?
I need one too. 
John

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

John,
I was able to get VDO sending unit for fuel tank on our 1992 from NAPA. Don't know if yours is the same or not, but try NAPA for quick & local pick up.

Thanks CC,
Did you have to bring in the sending unit to match up, I assume?
Anyone know the part number? Anyone has a picture of the sender they can share?
Thanks!
John

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

I took the old unit in with me.