You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Quicker lithium charging

Gordon,
Thanks for the reply!  We still have the old Freedom inverter as it is working just fine.  I did have a computer type cooling fan inside the inverter start making noise.  Easy replacement as I found one on eBay that matched the specs.  When the current AGMs expire in a couple of years we will go Lithium and use the Victron integrated system.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Brad, do you have a picture of your batteries and how you have them hooked up?  

Many people do not get the full capacity out of each battery because of how they have them hooked together.  They are much different than lead acid.

LiFEPO4 batteries have very small internal resistance.  If not following best practices your batteries may not be discharging together.

Brad,

Mr. Rock has a good point. Maybe the system is not operating as it should, or maybe you have draws that you dont know about or maybe you are just using a lot of power.

If you have 600 amp hours of capacity…Can you figure out that you are getting around that out of the batts? You will have to do a spreadsheet and use some back of the napkin calculations.

How much is the background current draw?
How much does it go up when Refrigerator comes on?
How much does it go up when the 120V air compressor comes on? How often and what duration for the compressor?
How much does it go up when you turn water pump on?
Do the same for TVs, laptops, and anything else you can think of.

Put that all in a spreadsheet and figure out how many amps you draw per hour of normal use and compare to what you are really getting.

Just a thought!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

My previous post got me thinking about the air compressor. I *know* you have to run the 120V compressor or your front seals will not stay up.

(653 is plumbed in a strange way with only two of his slide seals connected to the 12VDC air pump.)

If prolonging battery capacity is the goal, I would think about replumbing the front seals to work from the 12V air compressor and then turn off the 120V compressor. Of course you wont be able to re-level the coach or do anything else that needs a lot of air volume, but you *should* be able to work the head, keep the seals inflated and operate the air doors.

I would welcome feedback if this is a bad idea.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bill it's a great idea and saves a lot of watt hours.

1999 45' with tag axle, #504 "Magnolia"
Gravette, Arkansas