You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Entry door push switches removal, replacement

My entry door has 3 black plunge switches mounted on the hinge side of the door jamb. They are operated by the closing and opening of the door. The bottom one has had the plastic protruding button break off making the steps work incorrectly. My question is how does the switch get removed for replacement. Does it pull out of the jamb with enough pig tail wire left to replace? Or is access only from the back, which seems impossible without major disassembly of the wall area beside the entry door. Next would be a vendor and/or part number for the switch. 1995 45 Coach #373 Thanks in advance.

Terry & Cherie
95 Newell, 45', FMCA Show Coach, Series 60, Allison HT741 4spd, #373

i replaced the step plunger switch on my 99 recently. i was unable to find an exact match for the plate. mine was just siliconed in.

there was lots of wire to tap onto.

depending on the kwikee step version you have, the switch is different. some are normally open, some are normally closed.

i just siliconed the new switch in.

The older kwikee step should be NC(normally closed) (Cole Hersee 9270 BX)

The newer step is NO (normally open) (Cole Hersee 9269 BX).

you can verify what you have by taking it out and using a ohm meter to see if it is normally open or closed

you can get them at napa, or look for substitute part numbers. kwikee sells the exact same switch for 4x the price under their part number.

napa was like 6 bucks

they are now silver and not black.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom
I pulled on the switch some last night, it looks like it will come out as you said. Just silconed in. I didn't remove it all the way until I am done troubleshooting. My door jamb has 3 plunger switches, not sure yet what the other 2 control yet. My plunger switches have a black plastic plunger and a round chrome ring collar. They don't have the face plates like the Kwikee switches or the Cole Hersee that have screw holes and they are not magnetic switches either, they have reed contacts that the plastic plunger separates. Which is why I wasn't sure how the switches came out, thought they may have had a nut on back side like a panel mount. Perhaps the Kwikee switches in 1995 were round and no face plates, or perhaps Newell ground off the face plates and made them round, skipped drilling holes and screws and went to silicone. I'll take a picture this afternoon of what I am talking about. Thanks for your help!
Terry

Terry & Cherie

Terry, on mine, one switch controls the light in the entry well, one controls the step and one is tied to the alarm. Mine are also black plastic plunger switches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael, I didn't get out to work on it last night but will post pictures of switch body when I can.
Terry

Terry & Cherie

Here are some pictures of the switch. You can see the broken off plunger at the bottom. The switch came apart during removal. The way that the spring clips are made that hold it in your probably going to destroy the switch trying to remove it. As an aircraft guy I always prefer to go back with what came out, but I've had no luck in mounds of my electronic catalogs finding similar yet. I can make it work with a new current Kwikee type switch, but would like to find this old style if I can.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Terry & Cherie

I believe that is a Littlefuse 9075 . Still available .

www.littelfuse.com/products/switches/momentary-switches/door-push_button-switches/9075.aspx

Good luck,

Guy

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

good find. those do match what are in my 99. just make sure that you buy the right switch. NO or NC

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thank you Guy for the link to the switch, perfect match. My steps are series 32 Kwikee and they use a normally closed switch according to the installation manual that came with the coach. My Kwikee steps have not had the motor and gearbox upgrade yet. The failure of the switch was the black plastic plunger, it cracked and then did not operate the copper reeds correctly. The failure seemed odd given the design. I have ordered 3 switches as spares. Could not have accomplished this so quick without the forum! Thanks again.

Terry & Cherie

We are in a very humid South Carolina for the summer. My Kwikee steps are ignoring the bypass switch today. Every time we shut the coach door, they retract.  They have been behaving well for several years, except for the time when our grandchildren enjoyed turning off the bypass switch last year. Just the right height to attract a three year old's eyes.   Time to lay in the dirt today .. Sad

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59