You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

120v Compressor only runs off Generator power

Without a schematic drawing and this being against common sense I'll ask the group first. My 120v air compressor will only run if the generator is running. With shore power connected and L1 and L2 power showing voltage on the panel this makes no sense. Shore power and no generator the compressor won't turn on. Know the demand is there, the air system would be below cut in pressure for sure by a bunch. The AC bus I wouldn't think would parse out the 120v generator power exclusive to the generator and or the auto ac power transfer switching for the bus do anything but all or none generator or shore power. Maybe a relay somewhere to switch compressor from gen bus to shore bus  but I don't see a reason why.
Terry

Terry & Cherie
95 Newell, 45', FMCA Show Coach, Series 60, Allison HT741 4spd, #373

Our coaches may be wired differently....

The first place to look is the sub breaker panel that feeds the 120V compressor. Do you have power at the compressor breaker? With shore vs generator vs inverter? You can use one of those nice little voltage detector things...but may have to take cover off the sub breaker panel to get to wires. Obviously don’t do this if you don’t feel comfortable with electricity.

On my coach the path of the power would be shore power->transfer switch->main breaker panel ->inverter->sub breaker panel->120V compressor.

The place that the generator and the shore power come together is the transfer switch. I would guess the problem would be there.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Thanks Bill, I will start taking a volt meter to it tonight. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade, electronics school and Ham radio guy. I am comfortable troubleshooting most anything, thought I’d ask for clues from other owners as a start. Many thanks!
Terry

Terry & Cherie

Great Terry! As far as I know the 120V compressor does not have any weird relay that would keep it from working. The “donuts” that feed the ammeters over the driver are in the main breaker box....and I think the wiring for the little L-1, L-2 lights are in the transfer switch.

I just recently realized that the 120V for the sub-breaker box is fed thru the inverter. It has its own transfer switch and is this is how the sub-breaker box can be fed from batteries / shore & generator power.

All this may be obvious to you...but in case someone else is troubleshooting I thought I would leave some bread crumbs.

Good luck.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Terry,
I just a similar issue that the compressor would not run on shore power.  Was not able to confirm if it ran off the gen or not.  However, we just came off of a three day trip for which the generator ran most of the time.....we maintained the air pressure the entire time. 

I notice the 12v compressor running the next day after getting home.  Starting the trouble shooting, after checking L1 & L2, I went after the AC compressor relay box in the R1 compartment that connects to the AC compressor pressure switch in that same compartment.  I would like to say I found something definitive.  Apparently a stuck relay was the culprit as the compressor is now working....that box was the only thing I investigated.

Good luck!
Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

if it runs on genny, then all the control relays for the compressor are fine.

that means it is most likely in the transfer switch in the inverter charger....that said, all the things that are on the inverter should be acting the same way. are they?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I didn’t make it out to my hangar to troubleshoot the coach tonight but the thread is leading me to first place to look and that is the inverter out bus and shore power bus relationships. Then the relay area Steve mentioned. We just got the coach and I am going through it waking it up from storage. I haven’t tried all the 120v stuff yet on shore power or checked all the 120v outlets

Terry & Cherie