You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Future Newell Owner...

What a great forum!  I am new here but have already been browsing the forum on and off.  You folks are a tremendous wealth of knowledge!

A few years ago, I nearly bought a 1992 Newell... the economy  crashed shortly after, so in retrospect, the extra payment was something I did not need.  But I have thought of that experience quite often.  The test drive I took with it was most impressive.  I was used to driving my 1989 35' Rockwood gasser, and the contrast between driving experiences was night and day.  I had never even heard of Newell before that test drive, but never forgot how smooth and quiet the ride was, and how well it tracked and handled.

Fast forward a dozen years... I am working on an early retirement (I'm 49) and once I get my ducks in a row,  I will be looking at a Newell again.  An older coach, possibly around the 100k range.  I'm really grateful to have found this group, and looking forward to learning more about the Newells and maybe hearing from you folks about anything that I should look for or avoid as I begin my Newell shopping.   

Thanks!

Steve

Welcome to the group and hope you find what you are looking for. There is lots of great advice here! Hope to see you on the road soon!
PS: you might want to add a signature so everyone knows you are looking.

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks for the welcome, and the advice on the signature. I'll add that. I couldn't help but notice your signature with the list of previous coaches, and while that is a list of very nice coaches, having not been in a Foretravel or a Wanderlodge before, I couldn't help but think that there was a "progression" of sorts, for you to eventually arrive at your present coach.

Hi ‘Burlyman’ (love the handle BTW)...
We did definitely ‘progress’: we started coach life with a 35’ Foretravel and went through 3 of them to a 42’er. The main reason for upgrading was due to living full-time or at least traveling a lot in them and needing more space. We really loved the Foretravels and my wife still talks fondly of them. The wood in the older coaches is second to none and just beautiful to see. Foretravels are less expensive than Newell new (and used) but they are simpler to maintain and still have full factory support in Nacogdoches, TX. My only issue was the fiberglass construction that eventually delaminated - there are problems with ALL coaches but this was one I could not live with at the time and it was going to be cost prohibitive to fix. We eventually got out of coaches and bought a house near Houston but an offer came to buy a Wanderlodge that I could not pass up. I absolutely loved that coach and everything except the colors (Arizona sunrise - PINK). Sometimes I wish I still had that coach only because it was paid off - the quality of WLs is top notch and all-steel construction and the WOG group is terrific for support (like this site!). The Newell one-ups that with aluminum and stainless construction and top build quality plus there is factory support plus this group for help. My next coach, if that ever happens, would probably be another Newell but we will be looking for a shorter, non-slide coach due to the way we are traveling/living now - I love the slides but want something we can use in State Parks i.e., much shorter. Ask me after I sell this one which one I choose - who knows what it will be! You are definitely starting in the right place with the Newell and will not be sorry with that choice, just know there are definitely other choices out there - just stay away from the glitzy, box on a frame coaches and you will be fine...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

Thanks for your reply! I enjoyed hearing how your coaches changed to meet your living needs and your perspective on the coaches. You've definitely been in some premier coaches, so I appreciate the feedback from one who has "been there".

I think space will be a primary factor in our future coach. While I have always been a proponent of no-slide coaches because they can break or be a source of leaks, knowing the level of quality in the Newells makes me more confident that this would be less of an issue. I understand, of course, anything that moves can break. But in my case, I think I'll need the space to maintain sanity as I plan to live in it mostly full time.

I did find a non slide in SC for 50k and that price seems remarkably low for the year. Assuming the condition was acceptable, I could almost be persuaded to buy it but I fear I would end up purchasing a coach with slides within a short period, so I would rather wait. I'm not "quite ready" yet... still arranging all the things I need to in order to "fire myself" into retirement.

Steve and Linda Burleson 
28 years of RVing
Current RVs: 1986 Newell #125 w/2004 Ram 3500
2006 Keystone Raptor Toyhauler 30' stays at the family farm 
Previous RVs: 1989 Rockwood Driftwood 35' gasser
1978 Georgie Boy 28'