You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

NO RPM when in gear

So the other day I went to move my 1992 bus and of course the batteries were toast. Kids switched off the merge switch.  Charged them overnight and was able to get it started and moved for a friends car show. At first i thought maybe the brakes were locked up. Did the back and forth deal and was able to move.  The funny thing was that when in neutral everything would rev up fine, turbo engage etc.  Once in drive or reverse bus would only run 3 mph max.  I got it parked and decided to work on it another time.  I purchased new batteries, fired the bus up and now it will not move it all.  It changes gears just fine, just doesnt move??? Dumb thought though, I disconnected the safety alarm switch, does this have some type of override??? ANy help would be greatly appreciated. 

Signed,
Matt

1991 #266

It does sound like there might be air leaking from the transmission.

1991 #266

What is your air pressure? Until the brake air pressure is above 60 psi, the rear brakes will not release the emergency brake and you will not be able to push the emergency brake release button in, it will pop right back out.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Both gauges are at 90 psi, emergency/parking brake pushes in easily. i can hear a air leak from the front rear brake chambers, possibly not releasing those?

1991 #266

Are you sure you have enough ATF in transmission? When TA Truckstop in Willcox drained my transmission instead of the crankcase during an oil change I had to put 10 qts of ATF in it to get it to pull out of the bay.