You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

When Driving During the Summer How Many Roof Airs Are Running

All,
When driving during the Summer with the generator running how many roof airs are turned on? In late May I used roof air number 1 for seven hours and stayed comfortable, but last week tried the same routine and the temperature inside the Newell go to 85. The day I was traveling the outside temperature was in the mid 70's. Looking for suggestions. Thank in you in advance.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

Reece, In warm weather, I run the gen so I can run my front and rear A/Cs. I want to load my gen as much as I can so both A/Cs seems a good thing to me.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Reese, although I don't have roof airs, I leave all the thermostats set for about 75 degrees when traveling and let the A/C's turn themselves off and on. When it is really hot outside (like 118) all 4 AC's will be running most of the time. At the mid 70's outside, only one or two will typically be on at any given time, but I just let the thermostats sort it out.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

We roll like Michael. Turn them all on, and let the tstats sort it out.

There are couple of tricks we have developed to keep the coach comfy while traveling in hot weather (aka this entire summer). One, while driving, I set the front AC fan to run all the time. It circulates the air and minimizes temperature swings. Two, we run the rear AC tstats three to four degrees cooler than the front. It keeps the engine heat from saturating the rear and makes the coach more comfortable when first parked.

Running the generator with a load is far better than just lightly loading it with one AC, as Rudy said.

My wife does NOT like to be hot. Happy wife = happy life. Even if if means wearing a long sleeve shirt while I drive.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I run all my Dometic basement a/c as mentioned above. The rear one will not run the fan all the time. I havent been able to figure that out yet...

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Without dash air my Newell gets hot in the front . Originally the Salon HVAC dumped out just over the entrance door. During the remodel I added a duct behind the valance it to the front of the salon area after removing the fluorescent light fixtures. The new LED lights fit in there as well. My coach had two HVAC units serving the 8 bunks in the middle of the coach. After removing six of those bunks I ducted one of the middle HVAC units to that area over the door to assist in the salon area.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

All,
Thanks to all of you for these very helpful comments.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

ok, a desert rat from phoenix has to weigh in. hot is relative. if it is 90 or below that is almost winter and i can get by with just running the dash air (which blows very cold once i fixed it). if it is 110 plus outside then all 4 airs are on with the genny.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I have three 15k roof airs and I usually just run the front two on low or medium, this fat boy don't sweat.

I need to fix my dash air like Tom, it is on the list.

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Tom and Steve,
Thank you for your comments about trying to stay cool while you are traveling.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242