You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Steering Wheel Position Adjustment

This only applies to coaches with the old GM style steering column that Newell used prior to going to the Smart Wheel. I found an adjustment inside the dash that allows you to tilt the entire column back and forward about an inch at the column attachment mount. An inch of movement at the mount makes about three inches at the wheel. There is a angled metal bracket that is bolted to the steel under the dash. The angle bracket has slots in it. Loosen the four bolts and it will move a little back and forward. You will have to remove the dash cover to see it. 

I am a short guy with long torso, short legs and arms. I had to sit really close to the dash to be able to comfortably drive. By moving the steering wheel back, I am sitting about two inches further back. Doesn't sound like much but it's a dramatic improvement with regard to leg angle to the pedals, shoulder comfort, and I can actually see the gauges on the dash now.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
As you know, I have replaced my steering U joints and installed the larger bottom bearing in my column.  It really improved the dead-band....almost eliminated it.  Since doing the mod I have noticed the column is off center to the left in relation to the center line of the seat.  Will the slots in the bracket you are referring to, allow one to move the column laterally left and right?  Or is this the normal lateral column position?

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

The offset is normal. You can skew the slots to move the column sideways but it will misalign the wheel with the gauge cluster. Your choice...

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard, I only noticed it after having my column on the workbench.   Thinking I screw up some how putting it back is why I asked.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL