You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"Care & Feeding" of Air Bags

A 2009 Newell has been going through primary and secondary compressors like crazy (each only lasting a couple of years).  This coach has 151k on it, and I can't help but think that the air bags have gone beyond their useful life.  I'm told there are eight of them, and for Newell to replace they're quoting $3,500 + or -.

But Newell said it all depends on "how the bags were maintained"

I deal with rubber expansion joints (isolating pumps and machinery from hard pipes) and I know they don't like direct sunlight, high heat and a lot of cycling/movement.  But I don't know what you could do to "maintain" them.  The only aspect I can think of is when the vehicle is stored - maybe leaving them at "travel height"

Any insights?

Mark of SJC

the bags themselves are between 150 and 250 apiece. depends on which ones they are.

there are lots of discussion on life of airbags. my opinion is to just look at them and look for cracks and checking. and spray solution on them to see if anything is leaking.

i really suspect that the life of the air compressors is due to other leaks than the airbags. but it is possible, but you have clear symptoms with leaking airbags.....it drops. and they tend to leak alot, not a little.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I agree with Tom, the airbags are isolated from the 120V compressors when parked, unless you leave the coach in auto level mode.

Leaving them at travel height is not harmful at all.

Stored in a warehouse with electrical motors producing ozone would deteriorate them, as would soaking them with ATF from a leaking hose (don’t ask how I know this).

Other owners have had shops other than Newell replace the air bags, perhaps one of them will chime in with the cost. It’s a cramped and nasty job, but it’s not complicated.

Mark, do you mind telling us a little about you, with regard to hands on experience, and how comfortable you are with mechanical and electrical systems? It would help the other members frame answers to your questions.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I had Josam in Orlando replace the passenger side 2 drive axle bags in January for $420 labor only. I purchased the bags at truckspring.com for about $352 total for both.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

As Tom said: A spray bottle with kids bubbles will find lots of leaks - check the dump valve/solenoids...
Richard: “Stored in a warehouse with electrical motors producing ozone would deteriorate them”
What??? How big do the electrical motors need to be to make that much ozone? I’m intrigued having never heard of such...

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

To Richard's question: Mark, do you mind telling us a little about you, with regard to hands on experience, and how comfortable you are with mechanical and electrical systems? It would help the other members frame answers to your questions.

I'm a mechanical engineer by training - pretty good a broad concept diagnosis. Limited electrical. As for mechanical aptitude...(especially compared to some of the incredibly skilled people on this forum) I'd give myself a solid "C." I used to be a "D", borderline "F" (if something broke at our house - I fixed it!, but only by breaking 2 ~ 3 other things!). Now I can either fix it...or realize I need help! I don't have a ton of tools, nor a lot of space to work (certainly no lifts, air-powered tools, etc).

Maybe that qualifies me as a "Shade Tree Mechanic" (Emphasis on shade?)

Mark of SJC

If you can deal with the site of your own blood you will be fine.

1995 # 390