You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Please Help,I thinking of jumping in to a 2007

Greetings! I'm very strongly considering jumping into purchasing a 2007 P2000i Newell. I am requesting your wisdom. This would be my 1st Newell. I would like to purchase a newer model, but feel most comfortable with the 2007-2008 price-point. This particular unit appears to be very clean and the floor plan speaks to my wife and I. It is a one owner rig that I'm told was serviced at the factory each year. It was stored in the garage and has low miles. 

Are there any warnings you would give me regarding this year of model?

I appreciate any wisdom you could give me.

Rodney Nielsen

First piece of advice is don't post the same topic in three different places because it dilutes the answers. Before the gurus can offer meaningful advice, would you tell us a few things. What is your motorhome experience? How do you intend to use the coach? What is your experience level with mechanical and electrical? Have you had any experience maintaining an airplane or boat?

Have you read the posts in the topic category of I am
Considering a Newell?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Welcome Rodney. Richard asks relevant questions that will help in our response.

Your question from closed post:

"Greetings! I'm new the forum and am very strongly considering jumping into purchasing a 2007 P2000i Newell. I am requesting your wisdom. This would be my 1st Newell. I would like to purchase a newer model, but feel most comfortable with the 2007-2008 price-point. This particular unit appears to be very clean and the floor plan speaks to my wife and I. It is a one owner rig that I'm told was serviced at the factory each year. It was stored in the garage and has low miles.

Does anyone know this rig?
https://www.themotorcoachstore.com/--200...-cat-625hp

Any information/advice/history would be appreciated.

I appreciate any wisdom you could give me regarding this unit."

This will now be the only thread dealing with Rodney's question regarding #801 as I have closed or deleted the other three threads. Check you Private Messages (PM).

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I’m very sorry for the multiple post. I kept changing the post trying to find the right forum and thought when I pushed the “delete post,” that it did just that. Please forgive me for not doing it right. I must have done something wrong.

I appreciate you wisdom.

Richard, I’ve owned two fiberglass diesel pushers and a boat. However, I’m by no means a mechanic or engineer. I’m 47. Not retired. The rig would be used maybe 6 - 9 weeks a year. We reside in California. To start I would take it to the factory and plan on it having it’s annual services done there.

Thanks for the background info. It really helps put the question in context. 

The following is MY opinion, does not represent the gospel on Newells, and certainly open to challenge. 

Obviously you will be looking at the mechanicals closely. Oil, Coolant, and Tranny fluid samples recommended. Cheap and could protect you from a costly investment. It is unlikely you will find a problem with the mechanicals, but fluid analysis is a good science. 

Look for water intrusion damage. Look at the slide seals for signs of cracking or splitting. You know batteries and tires will need to be replaced some time in the future. That era of coach had problems with fogged windows. 

It is somewhat obvious, but go through EVERY function on the coach to check it's operation and make sure you as a future owner, know how it works. 

Can you live with the floor plan and the laminate ( or can your significant other)? The floor and furniture coverings are easy upgrades, not so much on the plan and laminate. 

Newells, and all other motorcoaches too, are not Hondas. They require constant attention. The more complicated the rig, the more attention required. A good analogy would be a jon boat vs a yacht. Newell is a land yacht. 

This is no knock on the mothership. Annual maintenance there is good. But annual maintenance at Newell is NO guarantee that something won't misfire as you leave the parking lot. 

The happiest Newell owners I know are ones who view the ownership of the coach as a hobby, use the complexity of the coach as an opportunity to learn different things, and take pride in developing their own solutions. The unhappy ones are individuals who do not cultivate the skills to fix their own coach. That being said, you are on a forum of DIY Newell owners.

You would think if you took the time to read every thread on this forum that Newells are nothing but problems. That is not true. The forum is the place where we document how we solved issues. We don't spend a lot of time talking about the actual use of the coach. Right now, we have been away from home since April, and we just landed in Maine. Woo Hoo. 

I know that others will chime in.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you Richard. Your advice is very good. My wife is troubled with the interior colors of this particular coach however it is a good floorpan. 

Thank you for the info regarding the windows. I was informed the previous owner just had some of them just fixed. Hopefully they don't continue to fail. 

I appreciate hearing the particular persistent possible issues on the 2007-2008 model years.

Rodney,
I sent you a private message this morning.

Reese Cantrell
Newell Coach 1242

Thank you. I just replied. You guys are awesome

Rodney Nielsen
San Jose, Ca

We have a 2008 and love it! Like Richard said it perfectly we are one of those happy owners as we have to trial and error and fix little things constantly but that goes for any coach. There is nothing you can’t fix if you are able.

Mark & Lisa Smith (aka Smitty & Lucy) 
York, SC 
Coach #1216 2008