You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Guy Looking For A Coach To Buy!

Hello all. I have been researching and reading on the Guru site for several months. You guys are a wealth of knowledge which is much appreciated! 
I am ready to buy a Newell 2004 - 2006 coach. My only requirement is the steerable tag and quad slides. If I didn't feel that strongly about the steerable tag I would consider older years as I think they look nicer and would be simpler to repair/maintain. Will be our first Coach and will be full time for a while so steerable tag would be a big comfort in the tighter areas. I would prefer the DD-60 but wouldn't turn down a CAT and prefer the older body style but not a deal breaker either. I do most of my own repairs plumbing, mechanical, electrical as I own a farm so fixing stuff is not too big of a deal to me however I want as nice of a vehicle as I can find so I don't have to be too much of a repairman anymore.

I live in Vermont and there are no Newells anywhere even close to look at. Actually there are very few large motorhomes up here, only 5th wheels so its been tough. Willing to buy from anywhere in the US.
I am ready to buy when the right vehicle is available. My budget depends on the vehicle condition.

Any guidance, advice or wisdom would be very welcome and appreciated. Smile

Thanks
VTShawn

Shawn,

Rhonda and I will be in Vermont, just outside Burlington, Aug 10 -14. I don’t know how close that is to you, but if you want to drop by and talk Newells that would be cool. We also will be close to Brattleboro Aug 15-17.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Wow Richard, that would be awesome. My wife and I live only an hour North of Burlington and would love to meet up and talk Newells. I will PM you tomorrow.
Can't wait to meet you guys!

Thank you
Shawn

Shawn,
Welcome to the Gurus and potentially to the Newell family!  If at all possible run, don't walk to visit with Rhonda and Richard! 

Doris and I where in the research mode last year mainly looking at Blue Birds and Prevost.  Our premise, as first time RV owners, was to buy our last coach first. Someone said to take a look at Newell.  Long story short, we came across the Gurus website, Richard and Rhonda invited us over to their house to talk Newells.  We became owners at the end of last year.  I have to say without exception, everything we learned from Richard and Rhonda was "spot on".  They are straight shooters and will tell you like it is.

As you have found out, the Gurus are a wealth of knowledge and are most helpful.  You can tell, by my posts, they are newbie type questions and inquires but everyone here have been very patient and helpful again with out exception!

Steve & Doirs

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Steve,

Thanks for the words of advice. It sounds like we are going to be very lucky getting the chance to meet with Richard and Rhonda in the next couple of weeks. For sure we won't pass up the opportunity to learn from such knowledgeable folks. I am so glad I posted and joined the Gurus. I know it must be a huge learning curve and a bit overwhelming just starting out like we are, and like you we want to buy our last coach first if possible.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Shawn & Liz

Good luck with your search Shawn!

When I bought my 2003, I had never been inside a coach, much less owned one. It was quite the experience to drive this huge thing off the lot. (Bought it from Newell).

With the help of the gurus, and with about 100,000 miles driving...I am no longer a “newby” but still need the help of the gurus from time to time.

Post on here when you zero in on a coach, and Michael (our resident historian) may be able to tell you a bit about the coach.

Have fun with the search!
Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Hi Bill,

We also have zero experience with any coaches. Knowing you went through the same thing makes me feel a little less nervous. I'am sure that first drive will be a little white knuckle but also exciting. How many miles did it take till you could relax and enjoy the ride? I drive an F-350 4 door 8 foot bed pick which is a long wheelbase but still less than half the length of a Newell.

Knowledge of the history of a possible coach purchase would be extremely helpful - I will defiantly reach out when we zero in. Up to this point we still haven't found what we are looking for.

Thank you!
Shawn