You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Vacuum pump for slide seals

Gurus,

I just wanted to say thank you!

I read all of the horror stories on the forum about the slide seals and thought I made a mistake purchasing a coach with slides.

We went on a trip last week and when we arrived at our destination and started extending the slides, the drivers side bedroom slide seal got pinched at the bottom and started coming out. I was outside watching for this because I have been so paranoid about it happening, I immediately told my wife to stop extending the slide!!! So after about 10 minutes of carefully getting it un-pinched and pushing it back in I told her we have to try the vacuum pumps to see if we can keep this from happening. We got lucky, it didn't hurt the seal or pull it out of the loom. That same day I ordered the pumps and the factory pigtails on Amazon and they were here when we got back. I followed all of the steps that you Gurus had documented on how to install them and it only took me about an hour to complete the job on all 3 slides. 

Now the moment of truth to see if they really make that much difference. I can honestly say that I'm amazed! Once the vacuum pump stops the seals are completely flat and away from the slide surface. Even though there is only about a 1/4" gap at the bottom of the slide that did this, I could see the carpet inside the room and not the seal, it was completely below the metal edge!

I also timed them and it takes right at 60 seconds on the bedroom slides and a minute 10 seconds on the Salon slide for the vacuum pumps to shut off after the yellow light is on solid. So for anybody that does this conversion, make sure you wait at least that long before extending or retracting the slide.

I can honestly say if you do not have this conversion on your coach, do it now! You wont be sorry.

Thanks again Gurus for paving the way to making these coaches just a little better!

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

just to point out again what ron said.....with this vacuum pump mod, you need to wait longer than just until the light comes on. i always wait until i can no longer hear the vacuum pump running. it has its own pressure switch and you can hear when it stops pumping.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Foretravel uses the HWH vacuum manifolds which depend on the baby Aux pump to work the venturi. Guess what happens when it does not like getting worked to death.

First thing I did when I got my 2001 two slide coach home was remove the manifolds and replace them with new solenoid valves and new vacuum pumps. When I stand outside, you can watch the blader retreat into the wall mount. Works great.

Thanks giant bunches to Tom and the Newell Gurus that helped me. Bless this forum that admits Poortravels too. I get as much or more help here as I do from the Foretravel forum. You all are the best.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

rudy, i am still waiting for pictures of your new rig.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I saw the outside in person in Kerrville last week.looks very nice.

1995 # 390