You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

120v air compressor usage times

i did a very un scientific analysis on how much my 120v compressor is used.  

i have been sitting in the same place for nearly 4 months.  

on april 7 i decided to take a picture of my compressor hour meter.  i did the same thing today on july 23rd.  107 days

on july 23, it was 1870.3 hours

on april 7  it was 1798.8 hours

so has run 71.5 hours

107 days        and runs for about 5 minutes each time    so 71.5x60/5=  858 times  but to be honest i have not really timed how long it runs.  if it was 4 minutes it would have been 10 times a day.   

858/107= 8 times a day

so every 3 hours or every 2.4 hours    or something like that it runs for

i have 2 air power toilets, a bode air entrance door, two interior air pocket doors, a bay fridge on air slide.....all of which we use.  the doors get opened and closed alot.  toilets get flushed alot.  etc.  plus i dump the sewer tank every 3-4 days.  leveling system is not in autolevel.  

in that 107 days we have been gone from the coach for 3 days once, 2 days once, and a few all day times.   we are gone from 7am to 1pm everyday.    and i did try using the 12v compressor only for a couple of days......so throw all that in your calculating minds.  none of which i included in my calculations.  

so like i said, not very controlled 

for your reading pleasure

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,
That sounds like you have a really tight system given what you operate during the day.  I have timed the 120v compressor cycling on our coach at 3:35 per cycle.  The coach is in Auto Level with no other air system items being operated during that time frame.

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

while spending alot of time in the shop lately, i had my coach on the 120v compressor.

i timed it and it comes on every 4.5 hours without using the airdoor.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

It looks like I have most of the leaks under control now. The 120V compressor runs for 1-1/2 minutes every 2-1/2 hours using no air doors, toilet, leveling system off, etc...

Ron & Jennifer Ward
2003 Newell Show Coach #643 (Racer Bus) Triple Slide, DD 60
Visalia, CA

Very good Ron.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I’m replacing leaky 1/4” push in air fittings. I’m thinking my coach still has the original 1/4” air lines running to the HCVs. I’m curious if anybody else has had trouble with those old lines? I’m trying to decide whether to replace them.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean,

In the 14 years that I have been following this forum, and the original Newellclassic forum, I do not recall anyone posting about a failed air line. Push on fittings, yes, constantly, but I just don’t remember burst or split air lines.

A general comment about compression DOT fittings, you don’t have to gorilla them tight to make them airtight.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I have not discovered a single air line burst or split either.  I did find a rubber brake line chafed through.  99% of the air leaks I have found were without getting under the coach.  Replacing push in fittings is a no brainer---they leak.  Only replace with good quality DOT compression fittings.  Don't forget to check inside the coach.  Parking brake valves can leak.  Brake pedal valves can leak & mine had leaky push in fittings.  Air doors, toilets, etc.

The only push in fittings I have on my coach are on the dump air valves.  Never found a compression fitting to replace them.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Right on Richard! And make certain you use the brass sleeves that slide into the tubing. Get them snug by hand then maybe a 1/2 turn or so and they shouldn't leak. If you're replacing a pushon with a compression fitting remember you have to compress the sleeve so it'll be a bit harder than when re-tightening an existing fitting. It's only 120psi max and lower in some cases like the bladder etc.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

In the weatherhead catalog, there are cardboard rings in various diameters fo the size of fitting and the thickness of the ring is to be used as a gauge.  The nut is removed from the fitting, a ring is placed on the threaded portion and the nut re=installed.  When the nut touches the ring upon tightening, it is at the proper tightness.

I found these when purchasing large fittings for fuel transfer lines.  They were a valuable addition to the installation.  The technicians installing the fittings had definite limits on tightening.  The size involved was 5/8OD.  The rings are available from #4 and up.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567