You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

In Motion Satellite Dish System

Hello Gurus,

We’re getting ready for our first “big” trip in 744. Still have a few minor issues to address but things are holding together however...

The original 2005 era KVH in motion dish has crapped out. Only received SD signals anyways and I have converted all TVs to HD. 

Apparently my new Directv receivers don’t get HD programming while moving so I’m going to go all new with Dish service and a matching in motion antenna (I’ll be selling my Directv receivers if anyone wants a couple of new ones). 

Any recommendations on a new in motion satellite antenna that can drive two Dish receivers. 

Should be a simple internet research project but Google seems to be comprised of reviews which are disguised as Ads for retailers. 

Any help is appreciated... Kristi will want to watch tv while I drive...

JK

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
#744 2005 45’ Newell Coach 
ZF Suspension/Active Steering Tag Axle
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi
Allison HD4000MH Transmission with PTO drive.

Kristie & Jeff,
We are about to replace our in motion satellite antenna.  Our old antenna was set up for Direct TV and apparently won't work with the current Direct TV recievers. (can't get a solid answer on this)  If we had bought new Direct TV receivers to try out we are stuck with a two year contract if things did not work.

There is some switching to change over to Dish and Hughes Net service but it would be a technical challenge to mix the old antenna to the current offerings of receivers. 

So, what we have decide to go with is a new in motion "Road Trip Antenna" and two Dish Receivers.  Dish portable service can be activated on a month to month basis with no contract.....we really like this option.  Right now scheduled to have it installed on the 16th at Camper World as they have all the parts in stock.  Once that is done we leave for our trip out west on the 18th.

Hope this helps and we are still open to any other ideas that come up.

Steve & Doris

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I think that will be our choice also. Roadtrip T4. I find it interesting how difficult it is to find the answer to simple questions in this category. I believe that unit only require the two coax cables and a 12v power cable. 
I should be able to use the power cord for the KVH unit. The most difficult part will be mounting it. I’ll try to fabricate a bracket that uses the existing mount for the KVH antenna.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas
CAT-13 ACERT KCB Engine 525HP 1642 ftlbs Torque Cat Compound Turbocharger 43.5 psi

I told the service guy i did not want some "hatchet/chainsaw job" done on our coach he assured me that it would "look factory"....jury is still out on that one. 

I really want to install this myself but everything I have read says "professional installation required".  Is that a hard and fast rule or just a recommendation?  Yet another question I can't find a solid answer on that one.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

I told the service guy i did not want some "hatchet/chainsaw job" done on our coach he assured me that it would "look factory"....jury is still out on that one. 

I really want to install this myself but everything I have read says "professional installation required".  Is that a hard and fast rule or just a recommendation?  Yet another question I can't find a solid answer on that one.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

You got this!

Seriously, well within your wheelhouse. Hardest part will be getting the unit up on the roof.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I’ll get Kristi on the roof and throw it up to her. I’m sure she’ll be a good sport about it. 

Placed the order. Good thing I have nothing else to do...

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Thanks Richard for the vote of confidence....I will go pick up the hardware and get after it:-)

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Just in case... does anyone have any advice on attaching something to a Newell roof? 

I have a tube of the typical sealant used, Dicor 501LSW-1 Lap Sealant, 
but what other precautions are needed to prevent water intrusion?  

I would expect to drill a hole and fill it with a good sealant before I ran the screw down into it.

Kristi & Jeff King
Bentonville, Arkansas

Also coat the screw/bolt head and the area around the contact points. It will be ugly, but you can’t use too much of the lap sealant. Dicor is good stuff, you do not want the self leveling variant for this application.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )