You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Top Speed 10 mph

My Newell was parked in my shop for about a month after running great on our last trip. It started great and ran fine as I moved it around the driveway. Once I turned onto the road it would not go above 1000 rpm. I turned around and limped home. I replaced both the primary and secondary fuel filters. It will start...sometimes readily but sometimes it cranks a bit . Altogether I have had it running for approximately 1 hour since changing the filters. At first I had to hold the accelerator pedal wide open just to keep it running at 1000 rpm. It would not go on fast idle at all. After a while I could get it to idle at 500 rpm and fast idle at 750 rpm. After running on fast idle for about 10 minutes it just died. It re-started and idled after that. I filled the filters with fuel before installing and I think it has run enough to work the air out of the system. I have visually checked the air intake. It has been suggested that the computer may be limiting it because of a code. The "check engine" and "stop engine" lights come on momentarily at start-up as normal. I think it is a DDEC 3 engine operating system (1993). Can anybody guide me on how to retrieve engine codes? Or offer any ideas as to why it is limited to 900-1000 rpm .
Thx,
Dean

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

you will need a code reader or a vmspc silverleaf to read it. no other way.

if you are going into limp mode, you should most likely have had a check engine light. what you are describing is exactly what i have seen in the derating mode

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Not sure if this helps but when I bought mine the seller had the same problem

Turns out it was one of the two DDec fuses was bad.

Changed the fuse and was good to go

I had the same problem on the way home from buying my coach in Kansas. We made it to Waco tx. and it lost power. The circuit breakers felt crunchy when I tried to reset them.
I bypassed the circuit breakers with 20 amp fuses and have not had any further problems. ( It did feel like it was running on 4 cylinders when it was happening).  Paul

Paul and Sherry Schneider
1994 newell coach 366, 38 ft with a 8v92 ddec 2

Update....I checked the DDEC breakers with a test light and they check out. I had replaced one a few years ago. I put a jumper wire on the other one just in case it might have had enough voltage to illuminate my test light but not enough amps to run the DDEC.
I ordered a Vmspc. It arrived this week with the round plug instead of the flat OBD plug . The flat plug should arrive tomorrow. I have talked to three diesel mechanics ranging in age from 30 to 60 yrs old. None had ever seen an 8v-92 with electronic injectors. The young guy who works on my RAM Cummins trucks knows an older guy who might have a code reader. I'm hoping I can figure out how to get the Vmspc to give codes and that I can figure out what they mean. I haven't approached the Detroit Diesel dealer. They are an hour away and the clock $$$ starts when they pull out of their shop. At least it's "dead in the water" in my driveway!!
Thanks to all who have replied....

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean,

You might want to join one or both of the bus conversion forums in order to post this topic. Lots of two stroke hands on experience on those forums. The guy to look for is Luvrbus.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thx, Richard.. I had lurked over at the BB forum but I havent posted.

(09-27-2019, 05:01 AM)HoosierDaddy Wrote:  Thx, Richard.. I had lurked over at the BB forum but I havent posted.

He is on busconversions.com. Really really knowledgeable guy and willing to help.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

I got the vmspc hooked up and it showed no codes. At that point I resorted to an old method I used to use to retrieve codes on GM cars. I used a jumper wire on the OBD port. Ha.... lt shows a code 16. According to info I have that is the low coolant code. Is there a way to temporarily bypass the low coolant sensor ?

It was a long time ago but I got towed to a shop in my 89 for the same reason. It turn out to be a wire that was loose from a sensor on the radiator that had broke which put everything in the limp mode.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck