You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Top Speed 10 mph

Update:
Even though the fuel line looked ok we decided to replace it. It is now new from the tank to the primary filter. While we were in there he replaced the two short power steering lines that are near the engine. I brought it home last night. This has been a long but educational (for me) process but it runs great!!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

dean, i'm glad you got it going after all this hassle.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

One thing I learned...A fuel pressure gauge is a valuable addition. This would have saved a lot of time and $$$ in trouble shooting.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We decided to take the grand kids to Corbin, KY. Do some zip lines and kayaking . Friday we had everything loaded and pulled out of the drive way and accelerated to.........7 mph !!!! Dejavue all over again!! It limped along for a quarter mile , I was planning to turn onto a county road to troubleshoot. All the sudden it took off and has ran great for the rest of the trip. I’m thinking there was an air bubble in the fuel line that made it to the engine mounted fuel pump as I got to the end of mi driveway. It is a slight decline and I stopped for a couple minutes to wait on traffic. I pulled off to a safe spot a couple miles up the road to.check my engine mounted fuel pressure gauge, ran it at 2500 rpm for 30 seconds and all was good!

Dean,  I have serviced hundreds of DD over the years and the fuel system can be very problematic.  The lift pump has limited ability to suck fuel if air gets trapped in the gears and surrounding cavities.  For that reason, we never removed both filters at the same time.  For those not familiar, the primary is on the suction side whereas the secondary is on the pressure side.  We would remove/replace the primary, start the engine to remove any trapped air caused by the filter changing, and let in run for a minute or two before changing the secondary.

Since you replaced such a long section of the plumbing, it is highly likely some air remained.  The pressure gauge is a great diagnostic tool.  The pumps work well as long as they are flooded with fuel, tHe suction side gives the most problems.  Detroit pumps act differently than other gear pumps for some reason.  Cummins PT gear pumps would lift fuel several feet with just a drop or two of fuel.   Series 60 pumps work well also but here again, the filter is on the suction side and air is your enemy.

I know you likely already know all this rambling so, I hope it helps someone else.  

BTW, nice paint job. ?

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thank you Gordon. Replacing filters one at a time is great advice . I decided to top off the fuel tank once it reached 1/2 on the way since we were headed to a KOA in KY and it would probably have steep driveways!!
I never consider your comments as “rambling” !!! I appreciate learning how these things work!! I’m sure other Newell Gurus do as well.

GRRR... Today we planned to leave with the Newell . 1000 rpm was max!!! I changed filters and now get 500 rpm and rough running. The handy dandy fuel pressure gauge I installed is showing 0 fuel pressure. I’m now thinking fuel pump. I cannot find anything online to guide me through the R/R. Has anybody here changed one? Any pointers would be appreciated. At least I tried to rev it up before I left the driveway!!

This just keeps getting weirder..... It turns out that the brand new check valve that we installed stuck shut. After Chris got the hose off he stuck a screw driver in the end and dislodged the ball valve..problem solved !.....We made it to Berlin RV Park in Millersburg, Ohio. I may have to smack the valve with a hammer to dislodge the ball to get back home. There appears to be very fine rust particles in the fuel. I'm thinking I'll put a filter just ahead of the check valve. Is it wise to put an electric pusher pump inline?

My coach 267 had rusted walls in the main tank.
Result of a previous owner not keeping a full tank i suppose. Inside the tank had no coating or paint.
Pulled it out with my buddy Mike. It was super tight. Two old guy loaded it on a pickup and off to welding shop. Asked them to take one inch off l and w. A clear coating was applied by a pro.
Even with 1" removed it was a very tight fit to slide back in.
It was a job but it should be good for another 30 years.

Bob Blair
Portland, Oregon
1991 44' Coach 267

I had a similar experience years ago on a drilling rig. Ended up being a bee that had gotten into fuel tank. It would get sucked up against the fuel line leaving the tank. When the motor was shut down to check on fuel issues, it would float away evidently so there was no problem evident with the fuel system. Motor started up & would run fine for awhile then die. It took a couple of days of trying to find the problem before it finally got sucked up into fuel line good enough to not float away. Got rid of the bee & had no further issues.