You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Synchronizing Cylinder for HWH

Hmmmmmmm. 

Don't send me to the manual. I have it. And have studied it intensely. 

Have any of you actually seen the synchronizing cylinder used for the front salon? If you have, would you please tell me where it is located? 

I have taken all the basement ceiling tiles out and traced all the cylinder lines. The rod end lines from the two extension retraction cylinders are supposed to connect to the synchornization cylinder. Mine are simply teed together and the single line returns to the manifold. 

The reason I am asking, is that I have developed a slight cocking problem as the room extends and retracts. The aft end is late going out by about 1.5 inches, and late coming in by the same amount. When fully in the room is flush, and when fully out the slide is perfectly even. You can see the room unwrack itself in the last bit of both the extension and retraction. 

Newell won't be open until Monday for me to ask Mark. I thought one of you might know. 

In case you get wildly curious, the tee I am talking about is located in the ceiling of the basement AC compartment on the passenger side. You don't have to remove any ceiling insulation to see it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

richard, i have the same issue. the back end of the salon slide does the same as what you describe.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

OK, this mystery is solved. On my coach, the salon slide does not have a synchronizing cylinder as the HWH literature indicates. I found a slide part number AP10816 which shows that the slide has an anti racking valve instead of the synchronizing cylinder.

I am posting this for anyone dealing with a slide with this part number.

The anti racking valve is mounted differently than anything I could find in the HWH literature. The valve resides in the basement ceiling, middle of the slideout, on the driver side. The slide must be all the way out and the floor up to see it. I had to remove the ceiling tiles in that area to gain access. I was able to correct most of the racking by adjusting on this valve.

The second thing to be aware, that is different from the HWH literature, is that Newell ran steel tubing for the hydraulics and only used shorter pieces of hose to connect the tubing to the hydraulic cylinders. I make this point to say that if you ordered hose from HWH for the front slide, they you will end up with hose way too long. I think this was clever on Newells part because it minimizes the hose expansion variable in upsetting side to side balance of the cylinders. HWH is VERY specific that the front and rear hoses be exactly the same length for this reason. Newell engineered a clever way around it by using the steel tubing.

I do not know if Newell/HWH setup for the front slide continued this way in later years or not. YMMV.

And if there was a silver lining in all the hours spent poking around in typically non accessed places, I found the steel tubing that supplies the front cylinder, accessed through a hatch above the passenger front tire, was unsupported. I have heard a rattle in that area as long as I have had the coach, and I suspect the unsecured tubing was the culprit. Needless to say I secured it before I sealed that hatch back up.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Richard

Please put my name first to buy your coach when you sell

All I will have to do is get in, start it and drive

Everything will be fixed or rebuilt ......

Richard,
Glad you found out this information....sorry you had to go through the drill.  When adjusting the anti racking valve did you open the flow to the aft cylinder or close the flow to the forward cylinder?  Do you have any ideas as to what changed to cause your problem?

Steve

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

The anti racking valve has a wheel on a pivot rod. The wheel follows a piece of channel that goes in and out in the direction of the slide movement. The pivoting of the rod depresses a plunger in the valve. Given the slide was too far rearward, and the valve was mounted behind the channel, I moved the valve closer to the channel to adjust the balance.

I think the slide had behaved similarly for as long as I have owned the coach. However, sometime in the last year, it shifted just a tick more so the skin of the slide would nick the skin of the coach going in and out. Why it shifted, I don't know, but time and miles do things.

The movement also caused a bit of the interior trim to rub the wall behind the dinette. I took the trim off, peeled back the leather and used a plane to remove a bit of wood to eliminate the scrub.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad