You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rotten Air !

After having the old girl sit around mostly for a few years , with the odd short trip its time to head south this winter ? After running the coach and checking things out the other day , I noticed the air pressure did not get much above 80 psi . I found that the relief valve on the factory electric compressor was venting , and the smell of that air would be enough to gag a maggot ! Is there a place that I can add some air brake conditioner to clean this problem up ? It sure seems there is some kind of a science experiment going on in the system someplace ? Thanks for any ideas Don H.

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

you likely have some moisture in there that is growing stuff....ha if you drain the tanks and bleed off any moisture it will likely take care of itself.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

So the air dryer does not keep all the mosture out of the system , would it not be a good idea to add some alcohol with lubrication into the system ?

Don & Linda
1987 Newell Classic 40 foot tag axle, silver 92 Turbo Ddec1
Coach #146

The air dryers of 87 vintage were not nearly as good as the current ones with desiccant cartridge. So no, the air dryer does not keep all the water out of the system, furthermore many of the auxiallary compressors have ineffective or missing air dryers. The air from the 120V compressor does not travel through the air dryer for the engine compressor.

The tanks REALLY need to be drained. Adding alcohol will not correct the problem.

Adding alcohol after draining the tanks may kill any funk growing in there.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Yeah, the finned type dryers reduce moisture in the compressed air but do not eliminate it. After I added the Bendix AD-9 dryer to each of my Newel coaches I never again found water in any tank. I also subsequently plumbed the 120 volt compressor to the inlet of that dryer so that thorough drying would take place. If I used the 120 compressor continuously for more than a week I would start the main engine to force the dryer through a recycle. That worked fine given the low leakage from my air system.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed