You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Identifying air bags

A couple of things I haven't mentioned is the wheels & tires are REALLY BIG & HEAVY and PB Blaster. Also on the first two air bags I've had corrosion issues that a thread chaser has come in very handy.

The tag air bag is totally different in size, style & how it is mounted. I put a jack under the tag axle to remove the tire. Removed the 1/4" air line from the combo air inlet & mounting stud. There are two bottom mount 1/2" nuts that are accessed through holes in the tag suspension. There is one 1/2" nut on top and a 3/4" nut on combo air inlet/mounting stud. Once all of the fasteners are removed, pry down on the air bag and lower the jack a few inches. The bag can now be removed--be careful not to damage the brass air fitting.

Once I got the air bag off, I could read all the air spring model numbers, but one--W01-358-937_. Using the numbers on the bottom of the air spring and the cross reference guide in the back of the Firestone catalog I was able to quickly identify my tag axle air spring as W01-358-9378.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I propose you get promoted from three gold stars to four gold stars!

Steve, thanks so much!

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I just got off the phone with Firestone tech support who stated that I was given wrong information on the front air spring. Every thing is right with the air spring, but the air inlet is only 1/4", not the 3/4" I was told. Tom had given me a Firestone number, but I was told it would not work. At this point the front air spring is unidentified and Firestone says they do not make one to fit. I apologize if this has caused any one any frustration.Huh

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Dealing with the front & tag air springs you are working on the outside of the frame rail. Because of the dual tires on the drive axle, the air springs for the drive axle are mounted on the inside of the frame rail. With the tag tire off I was able to inspect the rear drive axle air spring which is the same as the front drive axle air spring. Fortunately inscribed on the air spring was the bellows number 1T15L-2. The bellows number allowed me to only have to consider 16 different air springs. Twelve air springs were eliminated due to the air inlet type & location--down to four. Then two were eliminated by the bottom plate mounting bolts. One was eliminated as it only had a 1/4" air inlet. The one on my coach is the W01-358-9447. I verified with Firestone tech support that it is the proper air spring. I questioned the catalog depiction that showed a bottom mounting stud of only .65" long as mine is longer. He checked the air spring engineering drawing & stated the catalog is wrong and the bottom mounting stud is actually 1.29". The longer bottom mount stud is needed to use a nylok nut.

I called Newell and spoke with Mike Ellis. He stated that he was familiar with the front air springs for the Dana IFS and believed parts had them in stock. He went to parts, pulled one. It matched my description and read the Firestone part number from the label. The Firestone front air spring for my coach is a W01-358-8087. Newell does have the air springs in stock currently. Newell part# 19443.

The air spring ordeal is now done and here are the air spring numbers for my coach. For anyone with a 1998/1999 IFS chassis your air springs are probably the same. A comparison with the Firestone catalog and what is on your coach will verify if yours are the same. Be advised that the front air springs are in this catalog: http://vicbushfield.com/pdf/RV%20Master%...2009_E.pdf
You can do the comparison without removing anything. You just need a tape measure and/or set of calipers.

Front--W01-358-8087
Drive--W01-358-9447
Tag---W01-358-9378

I called Firestone tech support back and inquired as to whether or not the W01-358-8087 was a good and current number. He stated that it is a good number, but is not stocked. Special order only and currently there is a ten week delay. He stated the chances of finding some one other than Newell who had one on the shelf would be nil. He also stated any Firestone air spring distributor could place an order, with a ten week delay.

I hope my experience will help others in maintaining their coach and allowing many miles of happy travels. I do apologize again if I caused any one any frustration with the confusion over the front air bag number. I received information directly from Firestone and passed it on. It proved to be wrong!

I find it odd that Firestone chooses to heavily emboss the PARTS of their air springs on the bottom, but only put the finished part number on a paper label they place on top.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I just found another Firestone air spring catalog titled "RV air spring replacement guide" and dated 2009. Lo & Behold, on page 10, there is a picture & description of the front air spring on my coach--W01-358-8087. The catalog picture is right & shows its application as Newell Coach!

http://vicbushfield.com/pdf/RV%20Master%...2009_E.pdf

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I called Goodyear to see what their product numbers would be for my three air spring numbers. I was hoping that they might have more availability than Firestone for the front air springs. Here is what I was told:

Front: Firestone W01-358-8087 = "Goodyear does not make an air spring that cross references to that number"

Drive: Firestone W01-358-9447 = Goodyear 1R11-066

Tag: Firestone W01-358-9378 = Goodyear 1R11-202

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

I checked with Newell parts and the front air springs for the '98 into the 2000s coaches are available. Newell stocks them while Firestone will make one for you on a special order basis only. Newell price is $250.00 and Newell part # is NC19443.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Just after purchasing this 2000 model and dealing with the leaning, & having to pump up the air springs daily, I'd had enough!! (Tom knows this ordeal) spraying the air springs with leak detect fluid and having them all turn foamy made the decision easy. I raised the coach as high as the air would go and added 25 ton jack stands. Removing the air springs was easy on the drive, tag, & steering. Some nuts had to be cut off as the internal threads were stripped. And yes Steve the nuts on the swivel 90 degree fittings had to sit overnight with a rust busting fluid before I could get them to turn as they should.
Firestone has a nice catalog with their suspension products. the bottom plate (piston) , bag, and top plate make up many combinations.
On the 2000 the steering and tag are WO1-358-8087. components are:1T19F-5 bag, 9766 piston, & 3136 bead. I should add here that Newell wants to sell the Goodyear spring for the tag and it requires drilling new holes for the bottom plate whereas the Firestone will allow the bottom bead to be rotated avoiding drilling new holes. The drive springs are:WO1-358-9447. I found it interesting that those are the same as used on my 1989 drive and I would suspect it was used on quite a few Newells.
When the springs are removed the product number will most likely be gone as it is a paper tag but the component numbers will be stamped on the bottom and top. This is where the Firestone catalog comes in handy.

I hope this helps. If I can find the Firestone catalog in pdf format, I'll post it.

Gordon Jones

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Hello, I am new to this forum. I have an 83 Newell 36' and I am interested in replacing the air bags front and rear. I was wondering if anyone has any information on what type of air bag would be a replacement? The ones that are in there are Firestone, I can not find a model # on them with the access I have, and I was hoping to be able to price out and purchase before I pull one out. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you much.

Tyler Elliott
36' 1986 Newell

My 93 coach drive axle bags are the W01-358-9447. This coach has no tag.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed