You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Identifying air bags

Good story Richard. Is your story related to the recent Firestones you received? I'm taking mine to Leo here in Phoenix who does this all of the time.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

When I read Richard's story I'm amazed at how easily I got off in replacing all the bags on the 77 coach and the front ones on the 93 coach. While the 93 was somewhat harder due to the large hoses connected to the ping tank, the change was straightforward. Other than some skinned knuckles and head bruises it felt good to do this. As one tech at Newell related; I'm enjoying being under the coach way too much.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Leo won't have any issues. Yes it was the front.

Jon, the fronts weren't hard at all, except for the bolt alignment issue. I don't know if the plate holes were exactly in line with the top from the factory, or the Newell drilled holes were off. I suspect the plates were misaligned from the factory, since aligning the holes on bottom with the studs on the top fit just great.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

The factory drawing shows how the bolts are supposed to be aligned but what if the alignment is off as you found. No way we send them back, we do as you did and creatively figure out how to adjust. Thankfully all mine fit right out of the box. Sometimes it's good to be lucky, unless it's bad luck. Then it's :"gloom, disparate and agony on me, deep dark depression excessive misery, if it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at". Remember HeeHaw.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Just got back from my shakedown cruise with my (new) old coach.  Everything ran well (the computer said 8.36 mpg).  Problem arose when the rig had been parked for about twenty four hours.  First came dueling relay/solenoids--alternating curb rear to driver front with the occasional puffs of hp air.  The HWH panel lit up, with the level led going on and staying on, while the four corner leds flashed on and off together in a random pattern.  My best guess is that it is time to use Tom's rebuild kits on the solenoids.  Also plan to stop by Miami this spring and get the bags replaced.  In my religion, the Peter Principle is the 1st Commandment and I no desire to be stranded in, say, Armpit, ND, (about 50 miles west of where I grew up) waiting weeks for a new bag to be special ordered and sent.

Paul & Jane McCullough

Never had that happen but then I always turn my leveling system off after leveling so it doesn't recheck the level every 20 minutes or so. If the coach loses enough air in the suspension system when parked to need to relevel, the AC compressor may have trouble keeping up with the needed air. Raising the coach uses a LOT of air. Is the site you are in relatively level? Is any of the four corners of your coach drooping significantly (visually) after 24 hours?

I take it that everything was OK for the first 24 hours. After you manually shut off the level control, does the leveling system shut off as it should? If so, start the engine, build up full pressure, then turn on the HWH to auto level. Does it then level properly? If so, I would just keep turn the auto leveling off after the coach initially levels. If you have the same issue with full system air pressure, either your HWH brain isn't communicating with the level disc, or the system has just lost it's mind.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Paul, If we press the"level" button once the "leveling" led comes on steady but nothing really happens. We pres it twice and the "leveling" led blinks while the system is leveling. While leveling, yellow lights are on on the areas that require the system to make adjustments to. When all is good the "leveling" led is on steady.

Pressing the level button once allows you to adjust the level by hand using the individual buttons. Pressing it twice puts into automatic level mode.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

If none of that works, take the panel loose from the dash and uplug it. Give it a minute to reset and see what happens.

The leds flashing like that can be a sign the HWH brain is fried. But let's try the easy stuff first.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Didn't even look for the Off button and missed the double tap to level.  Must have burned out on the twenty pounds of manuals I inherited. On the HWH system I had on the last rig, you pushed the button marked level and it simply went off when it reached level. But that was last year's hydraulic system, not a 19 year old airbag system. Will try that the next time.  The fit only lasted about 30 minutes.  The site was not level, but within the abilities of the system. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Paul & Jane McCullough