You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator Fire extinguisher wiring

[attachment=7275]Hello gurus! I could use some help with the fire extinguisher shutdown circuit for the generator. 

Yesterday I discovered that the circuit on my coach is apparently wired in series with the "pull in" coil and not the "hold in" coil.

If I disconnect the FE circuit to simulate an empty canister while the genny is running, it keeps running. If I shut the genny down and try to restart it with the FE circuit unplugged, the pull in coil does nothing and obviously the genny will not start. If I plug the FE circuit back in, all is well again. The pull in coil does its thing, and the genny purrs right along.

My hang up is with the wiring. One side of the FE circuit comes out of the 4 prong plug and connects with the black ground wire to the pull in/hold in solenoid. The other side of the circuit connects to a white wire that disappears into the wiring harness. The red and white leads coming from the pull in hold in solenoid are also connected to separate white wires which also disappear into the harness. Without being able I track these white wires I am unsure how to rewire the system.

Any help on how to proceed would be much appreciated.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

David,  the solenoid colors are: black = ground,  red = hold in,  white = pull in.   The FE is nothing more than a normally open switch held closed by the pressure inside.  It can be in series with either solenoid black or solenoid red, one or the other.   I’m not sure if this answers your specific question.   There are many others on the site that have explored the wiring and several threads also.

The FE switch also should have a separate set of contacts not connected to the engine wiring for the pilot lamp in the cockpit to indicate the FE still has pressure.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

if the indicator light in the cockpit is not lit for the fire extinguisher but the genny still runs, does that mean that the light is burnt out?

am i right to understand if the system is low that it will prevent the genny from running?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Some of the interior fire extinguisher lights were wired to only come on when the genset is running. Mine is always on. If yours is not on with the genset running, then it is most likely burnt out.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531