You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Wall Laminate De-lamination Repair

[attachment=7306][attachment=7305]Some of the laminate on the door facings into our rear bathroom doorway was coming off so we decided there was no better time than the present to repair it.  Purchased some LocTite epoxy and prepared to go to work.  It was rather intimidating to note on the instructions that you only had 40 seconds to "get-er-done" after you started applying the epoxy. There's more than one place on the doorway to work on, but decided to tackle the largest one first.  I faced the laminate with blue painter's tape so if it oozed out on top I could pull it off.  Assembled my tools...a butter knife, Q-tips, nail polish remover (acetone), emory board, (lol) and...some great clamps and a 2x6 faced with tape, (in case it might get stuck), for even pressure on the length of the gap. The epoxy says it "reaches usable strength in 5 minutes", but just in case they were lying, and because it was on the curve of the doorway, we left over night and are very happy with the results.  I could scarcely wait to look. Now on to the places that have less area to fix on the other side of the doorway.  ----Lynda

P.S.  My first attempt was with Gorilla Clear Grip and it was unsuccessful.  It says it permanently bonds in just seconds, but I didn't find that to be true at least not in the case of a vertical situation. I kept it clamped for about 6 hours and it popped right open again. I had used the LocTite before on a smaller area by the kitchen, so I knew it worked, but the lenght of the delamination in the bathroom scared me because of the 40 second work time.

I couldn't get the photos to post in the correct order, so the first picture is the result of my labors.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Ed & Lynda Perkins
2002 Newell #638 (4 slides)
Tow 2012 TDI VW Jetta Car
2015 Mazda 6 Sedan
1998 F250 Work Truck
Pontoon boat, 2 John Deere Tractors and a golf cart!!!

It's good to hear from you and Lynda!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Great job!!

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com