You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

head hunter pump builds no pressure

Ok, the reason I asked was that the coach did not come with that pump from the factory, so a previous owner put in the Mach 5. The headhunter pump as others have said does not require a pressure tank. If I understand correctly, you want to install the surge tank for the 12V only pump.

Do you have a valve, manual or check, to prevent the 12V from back feeding the HH? If it’s manual, close it and see if that stops the surging problem.

If your Newell is like mine, the main filter is the generic whole house filter found at any home improvement store. Newell installed several different drinking water filtration systems at the time. One was Everpure, one was a no longer in business activated charcoal canister. I had that one. It was located in the AH bay, It was removed when the surge tank was installed.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Good morning gurus 
 Richard Idid flip some valves to see if it would stop serging only on the 12volt side the HH didn't serge at all. So I partly closed the intake valve to make it draw and it helped but I can't in my mind cut flow for pressure. So do you think the accumulator would solve the 12volt serge without effecting the HH?

ACR 502 1998 newell double slide 

The previous owner has the filter housing so tight that I can't unscrew it by hand , must have used the same pipe wrench on the HH . Do you think a strap filter wrench would work? Im kinda scared to break it.

i just changed it on my 99.  use a rubber strap wrench  not a oil filter wrench. 

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom I will get one and try it.

5 bucks at harbor freight if you have one close

tom

I use a rubber strap wrap wrench too. And I put silicone on the o ring when reinstalling. It still takes a strap wrench to break it loose. It’s a bit of trouble but if you will take the time to remove the shutoff handles you can remove the cover panel. Much less likely to slice your arm when the housing breaks free that way. You can get a nasty cut working in the confined space if not careful. Don’t ask how I know this.

When you are describing the 12V pump as surging. Is that with the water flowing or just with static pressure? If with water flowing, then it may be an artifact of the pump behavior. Adding a surge tank will certainly smooth that out, and I can’t imagine it hurting with the Headhunter. But it is overkill for the HH design. Check to see if there is a check valve in the line after the 12V pump.

Being somewhat of a pragmatist, how often do you think you will use the 12V pump? We only use ours when dry camping to conserve water and battery. For us that is maybe 2 or 3 days a year, and we use the coach 6 months continuously per year. My 12v will surge a bit unless the water tank is about 1/2 full, but once I get it primed and the air out of the 12V system, it calms down. Try running a bit of water using the 12V pump only and see if it calms down. After all, you did break into the system and there could be an air pocket somewhere.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

When my original HH quits, this is the water pump I'm going to install.  It has a pressure booster built in.

https://www.amazon.com/Grundfos-MQ3-45-P...236&sr=8-1

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i looked at putting it into my 99. i know richard has done it too. the reviews on it are mixed. i splurged and put in the mach5.

tom

I installed that very pump, and ended up installing a surge tank. It does have a tiny built in surge tank, but the internal tank would only hold pressure for about two weeks. The valve to ref inflate it is hard up against the bay wall.

Other than I felt it needed an external tank, it has worked very well for four years and provides PLENTY of flow.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad