You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

salon slide floor drops after a few weeks an inch or so fix

when we stayed in the coach last year for 7 months, towards the end the salon slide flat floor would drop over the course of a month or more.  when in the shop parked with the slides out i noticed that after about 6 weeks the floor had dropped about an inch.  

this means the hwh floor up solenoid is leaking.  so, i got a couple of RAP90729 solenoids and replaced the floor up one.  

the pictures show how my coach solenoids are oriented.  i know there are many different orientations of hydraulic manifolds so i can only speak for mine.  btw, my genny slide is hydraulic as is the genny compartment lock.  it has a pin just like the slides do.  at least on my manifold, the solenoids are only labeled for their function.  not for which slide it is.  i just unplugged valves and tried them to make a schematic as to which is which.  

years go i found a guy on another forum who made and sold a tool to go in the end of the older hwh solenoids.  it is very handy.  the new solenoids are different.  

a tip is that to remove one solenoid valve, you have to relieve the pressure on both sides of the cylinder.  in this case, i backed the hex nut off on the floor up AND floor down solenoid.  otherwise there is still pressure on the floor up and you cant get it out.  you can hear the fluid pressure releasing as you do the second one.  meaning i backed the 1/4 inch nut off 4 turns on the floor up.   then the same on the floor down and then you can hear the pressure releasing.  then you can easily remove the bad solenoid.  

i have had slide creep out when the slides are in (that caused me to replace my front salon slide seal as it rolled out then) and i have replace the room extend solenoid valve to fix that previously.  what i would do there is to release the air from the slide seal before doing both extend and retract solenoids to prevent any slide movement with the seal pressurized.  

the new solenoids have a flipper on the end instead of the 1/4" nut on the old ones.  much easier.  note to self....for the valve to work the flipper leverl has to be sticking straight out.....

i just tightened the new valve in with a channel lock being careful not to over tighten.  they are self priming so you just operate the slide and check it.  worked fine and then i checked for leaks at the valve and there were one.  

btw, you will loose an ounce or so of fluid while you are changing it.  

the valves are pricey.  i bought mine from a hwh employee who lives near my son in prescott arizona who is a traveling serviceman for them.  

thats my 2 cents worth

tom

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom, do you have to block that drop down slide up while changing the solenoids?

Ernie Ekberg
Prevost Liberty-sold
Foretravel
https://groups.io/g/ErnieEkbergFlooring
Ernie Ekbergs Flooring on Facebook
[email protected]

i did not have to block it up. it didnt move at all. i think perhaps because it doesnt drop straight down, but does a zig zag. and even if it did drop, it wouldnt hurt anything that i can tell.

tom

This may help a little,....    

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

try this again.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mark & Beverly Fincke
99 Newell Show Coach, # 527 (Heavy Metal)
Twin Slides, Rear Bath
08 Saturn Vue XR  SUV Toad

99 Escalade ESV.

There are many configs of the manifold. My 99 is totally different than my 02. And I have seen other 02's that are different than mine

Tom