You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Paint bubbling, what is the deal?

Hey all I have viewed three Newells in person, an 03, 05 & 06 and one  online where the owner told me of his issues on an 03 they all have some paint bubbling issues on the slide outs. Is this an inherent problem that u out all face? Is it something that you just deal with?  

I can imagine this would be a very expensive issue to have corrected, on the 05 we are looking to purchase I have found 3 to 4 small areas of concern. I don't think it'll stop me from buying it but it is noticeable.

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

all three newells i have had have it. not badly but in a few spots. if you touched it, you will find it is hard.

from what i understand, it is caused by electrolysis. i dont worry about it. btw, how many 15 to 20 year old cars do you find with perfect paint?

a wise guru taught me the 5 foot rule. if you see a flaw, stand back 5 feet and see if you still see it. (who is going to be looking at it closer than 5 feet?) if you still see, it, apply the 10 foot rule.

my two cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

What I have seen on my Newells is called filliform corrosion. Typically caused by something like a stone chip breaking the paint surface then moisture becomes trapped below the surrounding paint. The corrosion is a white powdery substance. There are two spots on my 1993. I scraped the paint totally off of the surface and it hasn't spread. It is generally not considered a structural issue. There are solutions for this condition. I would talk to a body shop that is certified to repair Ford aluminum truck bodies. Galvanic corrosion results from two dissimilar metal being in contact with each other. The addition of any moisture will aid the corrosion. I believe Newell uses some kind of an adhesive barrier between the metals in the areas where aluminum and steel are joined.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

hi dean, you likely know more than me about it. but i stand by the 5, 10 and 15 foot rule...

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

I agree about the 5 foot rule, I was just really curious about what causes it. Thanks for the replies gurus!

home: Southern California
05 #746 quad slide 2000i, 
Steerable tag 
Detroit Diesel series 60 515 hp
Allison trans

Toad 2013 Avalanche Black Diamond edition 4 wheel drive

We have this issue in two small areas on our old coach. The largest is about the size of a dime. At 36 years old it is now at Tom's 10 foot rule. I was woried about it and Tom gave me his 5 foot 10 foot rule when I showed it to him. I am now free to fret about other chronic issues on our Newell .

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59