You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

No Start

Glenn,
I agree with what HoosierDaddy said.
When I first bought my Newell last November I spoke with Tom in AZ on an introduction phone call. He said (and I read on here somewhere) that you can expect to spend some money and time the first two years getting your coach to where you want it and from there on out it is just preventive maintenance and repairing things as they come up.
Don't be scared and jump ship too early. Another quote from someone is "if you hear hoofbeats think horses not zebras" which I take to mean don't think the worst and most costly problems. Usually they are minor and easy to solve. In your case now it might just be replacing the chassis batteries and you will be driving again.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Dear Glen,

Congratulations on your Newell purchase. Once you get the bugs ironed out, you'll love it. We had to change or batteries in 2015 when we bought #277 (1991 model). Those lasted until this February. We've had good luck with NAPA batteries and they will deliver in the local area.

Also, don't forget Newell @ 918 542-3344, is happy to help by phone. From our experience, previous owners neglect maintenance and repairs because they are selling. The service department at Newell has been great to help any tech or mechanic working on our coach FOR FREE! No other RV company will support you anytime 24/7 like Newell. No, they're not cheap when you pull in there, but I've found they achieve more than any other RV repair facility I've had access to in my area per hour.

For the record, the Gurus and just about always 100% correct.

I'd bet that when you remove the batteries, you'll find them bulging which is another indication of failure. Ensure good connections when the new batteries are installed. Buy a volt/ohm meter. If you don't know how to use one, you can call me (cell 405 613-8689) and I'll be happy to help you learn. It is NOT rocket science!

Good luck!

Thanks hbens, guess I am jumping ship since I have someone who is buying it for far to low a price. Because I use my motorhome for ministry and I have meetings scheduled 6 months to a year in advance I have to have a coach that's reliable. The terrible time I had trying to find someone to fix it had me concerned if I was in need of work while traveling. I love the coach's look and it drives great, but some of the issues are more than I want to deal with since my schedule is very busy. A prior owner removed all the dash heat, A/C and controls. He also removed everything from the engine and cut all the hoses. I could go with a diesel fired heater to take care of the heat and defrost, but then the only way to have A/C is to run the generator while driving to use the front roof unit. I'm not sure how well that would work in 80 degree heat with the sun beating in the windshield. Another reason for this decision is the huge turning radius that the coach has which will make it very hard getting into my drive on a one car road in the hills of Kentucky. I'm already missing the coach and I haven't even sold it yet. That will happen Thursday unless I get a better price before then.

Glenn

Glenn Meldrum, 1987 coach #132

I think we all can sympathesize with your situation Glenn. But I think most all of us do run the front A/C and generator while driving. It works better than the dash air ever did and is actually the same economy.
Good luck with your decision.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

When I picked up my coach in Dallas last November I ran the generator and the AC constantly until I got home 2.5 days later. I think the genny burns about 3/4 gallon an hour with the AC and other 110 stuff running.
Here in Florida I don't think I'd make it 30 minutes in the summer with just the dash air running.

Hank & Natalie Bensley
2001 Double Slide #586. 
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Toad
We've been RV owners since 2002.
Port Orange, FL. Soon we will travel full time for "a while" Smile

Yes, I understand and thanks.

Glenn Meldrum, 1987 coach #132

I may be adding 2 and 2 and getting 6 so take it as supposition.

If the shop who is telling you all the things wrong with the coach is associated in any way with the person who has made you the lowball offer, then I would be wary.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )