You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aqua Hot Ignition Issues

Richard,
When you say "locked" did the Beckett shut down due to no input from the flame sensor?

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Yes.

First diagnosed by unplugging one of the sensor wires from the controller. It started the blower when the sensor was disconnected. I followed that up by ohming the sensor. It should be a high resistance (100K or more) when in the dark. And less than 100 ohms in light. Mine was neither.

I replaced with a spare flame sensor I had in the leftovers box from my days of trying to fix the AH. I have ordered a Beckett CAD sensor $20 instead of the $200 Webasto sensor to put in the spares kit.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Quick question. Would it be possible to replace JUST the Webasto ignition coil with the Beckett Powerlight 12V one? I am not sure why it WOULDN'T work but I figured I'd ask first. I have been getting intermittent ignition lately and could use that as a diagnostic tool as well as getting ready to do the Beckett mod.

Between the Webasto coil and the Webasto DBW2010 controller it's an amazing cost savings AND much easier to source the parts.

Also, It's not completely clear how to connect the HV terminals of the igniter to the terminals. I know which wire to use... but How? And I see only 3 wires covered in the schematic for it. W and B/W and then another W to the IGNITER and GND terminals. What about the other wires? Unused??

Lastly which sub-model of Beckett 7556 is used?

Thanks!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

https://www.beckettcorp.com/wp-content/u...ctions.pdf

Section 13 and 14 tells you what to do with the wiring.
Diagnose your existing coil by simply removing it, and hooking leads to a 12V source, it should continuously spark.

The Beckett igniter is designed to be mounted directly on the side of a furnace. Obviously we are not using it that way. That is why there is reference earlier in the thread about the use of “spark plug wire”. You have to make two high voltage wires to go from wherever you mount the igniter to the spark terminals inside the Webasto.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

This is a what I used for the 7556 Burner Control part number 7556P152MU. Connecting the ignition HV leads to the Beckett coil i used standard ring terminals with a self locking nut on each of the studs depicted in your picture.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

This may help when you retrofit the system with the controller.

Your wire colors may be different, keeping in mind I replaced the internal wiring in the Webasto with heavier gauge wiring with a high temp silicone insulation.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

Update:
I had originally done the Beckett Mod to the Andy & Jean Harmon, Wander Lodge groups wiring diagram. Along with Richard's idea of adding a main power relay and 14 ga wire.  The drawback to that method was you were interrupting the main power to the Beckett controller.  This caused an immediate shutdown of the burner and fan motor i.e. no purge cycle.  The Beckett controller manual identifies this condition.  This is in fact what was going on for the last year or so.  This also causes unburned fuel in the nozzle to carbonize, due to the heat and disturbed the spray pattern.  My nozzle only lasted about a year before I had burner issues (smelling unburned fuel inside the coach).  I had also provisioned the Beckett igniter but not used it at the time.

Fast forward to now.  My OCD got the best of me to find a fix for the "non purge condition".  Richard checked his operating Beckett Mod and does have the 2 min purge cycle upon shutdown.  Eureka moment, the Beckett does have an internal purge cycle as long as you don't switch off the main power (page 5 Beckett 7556 manual).  I borrowed Richard's Beckett Contractor Tool (displays the internal programing and fault codes) to verify my settings.  They were set to a 15 second pre purge and a 2 min post purge.  Understanding that main power interruption was by passing these parameters there had to be a way to enable this on my set up.

As it turned out the solution was pretty simple (see the attached wiring diagram).  By connecting a direct 12vdc main power to the Beckett. Then  using the main power relay to make and break the Beckett "Enable" circuit.  Now the Beckett controller is in standby mode at all times waiting on a call for heat.  Once the switch is turned on and the 190 degree T-stat is closed the unit fires right up.  While the burner is operating, turning the switch off I now have the two min post purge cycle. 

While working on this I completed the install of the Beckett Igniter box.  Richard asked to verify the alarm circuit by disconnecting the igniter and attempt a start.  Blower came on 15 sec later heard a relay click obviously the burner did not light.  15 sec later the blower shut down and the AH light went out.....that worked properly.  To reset the controller one must interrupt the main power for 10 sec....i installed a bullet connector in the main power circuit to facility a controller reset.

As you can see the final configuration has enough wire that I am able to remove the two bolts holding the white board and lay it off to the side on top of the AH in order to gain access to the burner assembly.

Attached is the final wiring diagram configuration I used....if anyone sees an error please let me know.  I used this free online diagram editor (https://www.circuit-diagram.org) to draw this up.  Also, some other attachments that you may find helpful.

Many thanks to Andy & Jean Harmon and Richard for the insperation and help with this project!!

.pdf GeniSys-7556-12v-Burner-Control-Manual.pdf Size: 934.06 KB  Downloads: 29
.pdf AH T-stat.pdf Size: 76.91 KB  Downloads: 50
.pdf AH T-stat.pdf Size: 76.91 KB  Downloads: 50

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

While connecting the Becket igniter coil to the AH burner using the Beldon 8866 ignition wire. I broke one of the igniter leads trying to get it apart from the OEM AH leads.  Found the replacement at Heat My RV.....Electrode Boot, Rubber, Webasto DBW-2010 - Aqua Hot RV Hydronic Heating - WPX-176-494.  Might be a good idea to look at these real close when replacing the igniter wire.

Steve & Doris Denton
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL

Great Steve! Glad you caught the deterioration on the boot. Looking at the extreme conditions inside the Webasto it's a good idea to inspect all of the wires, as Richard found out previously and upgraded his wires.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337