You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3 week trip

First day out. Left home and in rain within an hour. Then back to 100 degree temps. Series 60 running cool and strong. First leg got 8.21 mpg. Not one problem---yet. First time I have run all four roof airs---Suzy always said 4 a/cs is excessive until I pointed out a Prevost with SIX roof a/cs. Every thing is very dry here in Illinois. Corn crops standing brown. Have seen one other Newell. Have not seen much motorhome traffic on the interstate--probably too hot. Be leaving Mulberry Grove, IL tomorrow heading for Columbus, OH. Trying to keep up with my summer motto--"in the pool by 3".

This sure beats sittin' in the barn.....................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

i think darlene rubbed off on her for the air conditioners.

i cant believe you drove your newell in the rain? just think how dirty it will be?

have a great trip!

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Second day & the series 60 is still running great! Mileage is now up to 8.55 as we go through the flattest part of the country with no wind. No rain today and temps dropped into the low 90s. We were able to stay cool with just the dash air. Indiana roads were very rough and we encountered a lot of well needed construction. Corn in Indiana is not all burnt up, but is only 3 feet high--not a good sign. Ohio is the first place we have seen green grass, so obviously they have gotten rain.

Sittin' in Galena, Ohio..................

PS Tom This trip we always get a lot of rain, so we are enforcing the three foot rule!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

and i even know what the 3 foot rule is....

be safe

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Ahh, you guys are about 1.5 hours from Dayton, I imagine you've already been to the AF museum?

Scott,
We went through Dayton today & sent a GOD BLESS to you and all the servicemen that protect us. The museum is on our bucket list after hearing about it from your dad. Unfortunately we are on a schedule this trip.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Third day out was a short day. Series 60 continues to run great. Mileage on the Detroit Driver is now up to 8.61 for the trip. Fueled up today & it figured out to 8.2 mpg, but that doesn't take into effect the hours of genset usage. Weather is in the low 90s, but humidity has returned. Motor home traffic on the interstate is noticeably less than normal. We are in a rv park that is normally filled with many motorhomes--not this year. Mostly trailers.

Sitting by Lake Erie...................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Fourth day of travel included rolling hills and a 20 mph wind. Series 60 continues to purr and mileage continues to climb. We're now up to 8.71 mpg for the trip. This time last year when I took the same trip I was getting 7.85 mpg. The valve adjustment that I had done in April is the only variable. This is the first interstate trip I have taken since the valve adjustment so this is my first good measurement of mileage for a comparison with last year. The day did end in my first repair since I left. An air fitting that Newell installed for the air brakes for the tow vehicle failed. It was a 90 degree swivel fitting that I replaced with a straight compression type fitting.

Sittin' in the rain in New York........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

We reached our destination in New Hampshire today without any issues. The first 100 miles was on flat interstate that we paid $80 to have the privilege to drive. During this leg the mileage continued to increase. Once off the interstate we drove through some beautiful country that varied from small town stop & go to climbing over Hogback Pass. The roads up here are pretty rough. The mileage obviously suffered as it is now 8.45 for the trip. Still much better than last year. Another thing we noticed this year was an amazing number of class A motorhomes. Normally we see very few. This year the N/E has been cool and the motorhomers have made their way up here to beat the heat.

Sittin' in cool NH........................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

Tell me a little about your valve adjustment; if you want to start another thread I understand.

Did Newell do it? Did they crack any of the floor tiles opening the trap door in the rear bathroom?

I was thinking about doing mine, but am afraid of problems eminating from the removal of the trap door in the rear bathroom.

Also, the $1100 cost of doing the valve adjustment has weighed on my pocketbook! Sounds like you are glad you did yours with the added fuel savings.

Tuga & Karen Gaidry

2005 Honda Pilot