You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

3 week trip

i know steve has some info on it and i hope he reposts it here. his bathroom is a bit different than mine but fairly close.

i will likely do the labor to take the floor panel out myself and take it to my bus guy to do the valve adjustment and then i will put it back together myself. sounded like from steve that over half the labor was in getting that panel on and off.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I'll move the valve adjustment discussion to Repair/Adjust/Maintain

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Another day of traveling. Had time to clean the coach and left in the rain. Left New Hampshire through the gorgeous Quichee pass and drove across the mountains of Vermont. Very beautiful country. The Newell handles like a sports car and the series 60 runs like a swiss watch. The torque of the Detroit Diesel provides more than enough power to easily climb the hills and my Jake brake now has the holding power to descend the grades. Mileage continued to drop as we ran through the mountains, but started to climb again after reaching the interstate. Overall fuel mileage is now at 8.27 mpg. For any one coming to the N/E area, New Hampshire has the best fuel prices since leaving Missouri.

Sittin' in NY.......................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Traveled from NY to Ohio, up on Lake Erie. Left in the rain & cool weather. Fuel very expensive in NY--$4.41. Fuel was $3.89 in Ohio a week ago and now $4.21. Newell continues to run great & mileage is up to 8.32mpg.

Problem with dash gauge. All of a sudden the voltage gauge dropped to ten volts, but the coach did not exhibit the symptoms of low voltage like when I lost my alternator. I checked the alternator output & found it was putting out 13.6 volts. A Newell tech had previously told me to check the alternator voltage at the center connection of the battery isolator. Looks like I'm going to have to redo the gauge ground connection. Does any one know where the gauge ground connection is located?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
I have asked Newell about the gauge at least five times. They say that the dash gauge is not expected to be accurate. (Mine reads around 10V pretty much all the time) They talk about the voltage drop in the cabling from the engine up to the dash. I am not buying it...but cannot refute their analysis.

My Silverleaf unit tells me I have 13.8V when driving, so that is the gauge I watch.

If you figure this out...I would love to hear about it.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

It is probably time for a silver leaf. Mine has always run above 12V prior. I'll let you know what I find.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

You'll learn to drive by your Silverleaf and love it! I don't even look at my dash gauges anymore, well occasionally to remind me how in-accurate they are.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Guys,
Thanks for the Silverleaf info. I do think that is definitely the right direction. Maybe Santa will bring me the silverleaf digital dash.

Another travel day through heavy rain as I went through Cleveland. That is the fifth straight day of rain, but it is clearing up. Voltage gauge is now working only intermittently. Stopped at a Flying J for fuel. I have the rv card with pump start and their system has changed slightly. Now they want you to scan your loyalty card only and all 9 cents came off the price right at the pump. Once done fueling Suzy went in & paid the bill with a credit card. Fuel mileage has leveled out at 8.33 mpg, which is still more than a half mpg better than before I had the valved adjusted. We are now 2,200 miles into our trip.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Digital Dash $10,000.00 ?
VMSpc $400.00?

See All You Can!
Before Its Gone!Big Grin

Non travel day today, but we went to a hot rodders delight. We went to the Woodward Avenue Dream cruise that is held above Detroit. Shopping center parking lots were turned into car shows with even live bands. We saw every kind of hot rod imaginable. This is Wednesday and I can only imagine what it will be like on Saturday which is the big event. For any hot rodder out there this is a must. Unfortunately we will not be able to attend Saturday as we will be at Michigan Raceway for the NASCAR event. For any one out there who is in a drought, we had our 6th straight day with rain.

Matt,
I could never afford the $10,000 for the digital dash, but when it is from Santa it is free!

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531