You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

99 newell front airbag change

Tags are easy. Drives are a BEAR!

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

OK..so here we are today.

I just ordered (and am having shipped to Albuquerque):

2 W01-358-9200 Airbags for the Steer Axle
4 1R11-066 Airbags for the Drive Axle
2 1R11-202 Airbags for the Tag Axle

Likely I will be needing some additional bits and pieces....no idea what items exactly right now.

I have someone doing the install of the Front/Steer ones, hopefully before I arrive, and will do the rest at a friends in TN...I hope!

The replacement forum post has been copied, pasted and printed and will be traveling with me!

Be seeing you,

Rick Miller
1996, 45'+, Non-slide, Series 60, ABS, 1.5 Bath, Reverse Floorplan

I'm taking a poll. Who thinks these are the correct bags for my 97' with IFS.

2 W01-358-9200 Airbags for the Steer Axle
4 1R11-066 Airbags for the Drive Axle
2 1R11-202 Airbags for the Tag Axle

Have a pinhole in a steer bag and found a truck shop to swap them out, but would prefer to not have it sit there while we're waiting on bags.

Brad Aden
2003 Newell #653 Quad Slide Cat C-12 engine
St. Louis, MO

We have a 97 Newell and are trying to replace the front air bags. Has anyone done it with the new bag available and reduced the air line size to the bag? Does it take longer to lift the coach after that?
Just wondering because we have not been able to find any other bag that has the 1 inch (or so) inlet size to match up to the old airbags.

Rick and Cindy Freeman
1997 Newell Coach #465
Spending summers in Central Wisconsin and winters in Mesa, AZ.

i am playing around with different size orfices on the leveling valves to help raise the back faster. i am in the process of trying to find valve bodies that have 1/8 inch orfices (which is the biggest we can use without a higher wattage coil).

i think that is what the valids have in the rear as bobs raised much faster in the rear than my 02 does....much faster.

i worked on bob's 07 with the valid system and they had 3/8 inch lines on all the bags.

the line coming off of the front six pack is a 3/8 line to the ping tank. then the ping tank to the bag is the firehose size.

i am sure there was some rational, but i dont know what it could be. the classics had no ping tanks and 3/8 lines from the valves directly to the bags. (i changed all 8 bags on a gurus classic).

i have had a leak at my front drivers side for ever. i changed the bag, no change, i rebuilt the valves, no joy. sprayed about 80 gallons of bubbles, no joy. problem is i am too big to get up there to look. i suspect i either have a leak on that big line from the tank to the bag, the fittings on top of the tank etc. or that frame rail tank itself.

if you can find a bag that has the same dimensions but doesnt have the humongo input line, i think you are fine. being able to raise the bag will not be changed as it is still the same valve in the six pack that feeds it. and the orfice is 3/32 and the line coming off is 3/8.

ithe other question i ask myself is can we just eliminate the ping tanks without sacraficing any ride quality. from spending time under bobs 07, they do not have ping tanks. just supply tanks for each side....in fact the 07 only had 5 tanks as far as we could tell....total.

others please pitch in.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

On these newer steer bags with the way smaller air connection I'm assuming I just need to step that down to the smaller size right where it connects to the bag?

Steer and tag bags came in yesterday so as soon as the rest of my tools get here tomorrow it's time to dig and get this done!

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

yes.....however, that heavy inflexible hose coming from the ping tank to the bag is pretty heavy. make sure however you do it, that you dont overstress the connection to the bag.

i would consider taking that large hose off entirely and run a 3/8 air tubing straight from the ping tank.

others chime in?

tom

It is my opinion that the large line size is for volume as the ping tank ,as you call it, was designed to accommodate a softer ride.  Having twice the volume gives more cushion however, you need rapid transfer from / to the reservoir hence the large line size.
The following picture shows why my left front would loose air over a few days.  This was the most difficult fitting to remove.  It required a couple of tools to be sacrificed in order to fabricate a workable tool.  The crack is hardly noticeable.  It was mounted in the reservoir tank to reduce the size from 3/4 to 1/2.  The #12 (I think) line goes out to the air spring.  Working room is nearly non existent.  I suspect Newell over tightened it during the build since the steel 1/2 fitting is much more robust than the brass.  This was in 2010.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Newell recommends just stepping it down at the bag. Adapter needed is:

#12 male JIC down to a #4 National Pipe.

Not the most readily available thing you'd look for but found some at OneHydaulics.com and they shipped same day.

Part # SS-2404-12-04-OHI

Brad Aden
St. Louis, MO

gordon,

i totally understand that. from what i can see, the coaches with the valid leveling system and different suspension on the 05 up or so dont have the ping tanks and have 3/8 inch lines to the bags. i wonder what is different.

there were left and rear supply tanks in the rear of bobs 07 and there was 3/8 lines from the six pack to the tank and then tank to bags.

tom