You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Very different summer for FT's - what are your plans?
Question 

This may be a very tough year to be a "snow bird".  

I regularly read the "RV Goddess" blog https://rvgoddess.com/more-changes/?unap...omment-146 who winters at the Motorhome Country Club through the Winter/Spring months near Palm Springs.  But this year, the country club  (like everything else in Palm Springs) is largely shut down - restaurant, golf course, gym, pools, etc.   Worse yet, California is a "shelter in place" state currently.  While it's not fun there right now, if this continues as expected into the May or June months - you'll have people trying to survive in the desert...in summer...in RV's.  

While there are a number of Newells that also stay there - can even a Newell handle 115+ F "dry heat"?

And if not, with all the states shutting down public parks (with many private parks forced to follow suit), where is a full timer to go Huh with no "stick and brick" option to fall back to???

Mark of SJC

mark,

i live i phoenix area. i have left many times when it was 110-120 degrees outside. meaning left the valley in the newell.

my experience is that if you are in the sun, at least my 02 newell with 4 basement airs, is not going to stay cool enough for my wife during the day. evening time it would be ok. under a hundred and no sun.

if you were shaded and had the window shades down, then it might be bearable.

but, we dont really sit around at 115 degrees, we are headed out.

as it is now, my coach is inside my shop where it doesnt get much above 90 in the summer and i would cool it down and run the hvac and dash air as i left. it would be ok for driving to get out of the heat.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom,

The big question would be - if you didn't have your house, where would you head out to this May? (Especially if the weather pretty much forces you out). What place would be open in the current situation?

Mark of SJC

Here's a good resource for open campgrounds:
https://www.campendium.com/camping/covid...responses/

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Thanks very much, Forest! I can't help but finding the irony of all the wide open roads and super cheap fuel...but no place to go to!

Mark of SJC

Yes, it pretty much has disrupted our summer travel plans. But we figured now would be a good time to get those renovations done that we were thinking about doing Rolleyes - so that is what we are doing - sheltering in place in Nacogdoches, TX while the renovations and annual maintenance are being done.

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

We have spent time in our 1992 in AZ So Cal summers with ambient temps up to 125F. It was bearable with all 3 ac'S running up to about 115-118F. Inside temps at 80-85F in that range. Over that inside temps push 90-95F. We keep awnings out over windows and patio awning out on curbside unless wind are to high. We keep all black out blinds & shades drawn over windows. Try to orient coach east west so that direct sun only hits roof and 1 end instead of roof and 1 whole side. I said it was bearable, not so much pleasant.

Hello all,
Sometimes you just need to go with the flow. I had planned on spending the entire winter in Ft. Lauderdale to be near family and my sailboat. After spending 2 months at Yacht Haven and then 2 more months at Aztec I decided it would be better to head to Phoenix which had been my home for 45 years before the SHTF. As luck would have it the only RV resort with space was at Palm Creek in Casa Grande which was over 50 miles South from central Phoenix and about 60 miles North of Tucson. It's turned out to be a rather fortuitous accident. The Phoenix Valley's constantly increasing population has severely taxed the infrastructure and the lines at the Costco's and supermarkets are just not something I'm willing to risk. Luckily, Casa Grande has a small population which got much smaller with the exodus of all of the Canadians and snow birds from the northern states. To deal with the food and general supply issues the nearby Walmart has proven to be a real positive. We make up an order on line, choose a pick-up day and time which is usually 2 days out and wait to be notified that the order is ready. Being its one of the superstores I even order other items needed just so I can avoid having to visit other stores. Amazon has also proven to be a very useful tool to maintain my isolation. A helpful hint to other Walmart customers, when picking up your order outside you can ask the checkout person if they might have any of the items you will never see on the website. I scored a large pack of toilet paper the other day from a very helpful associate this way. I slept very well that night.

I would hope to head up to Montana for the summer but if thats not possible, summer may require some effort in dealing with the high desert temperatures but as Casa Grande is outside of the heat island that Phoenix generates I think it will be livable so long as all 4 A/C units can keep working. Thankfully, all of them have been replaced over the last 2 years.

I think with a bit of luck and some unconventional thinking you too should be able to land someplace safe to ride out the storm. Palm Creek is about 80% empty as I imagine are many of the other Arizona parks.

Here's wishing you all a safe journey.

Best Regards,
Mike

2008 Newell #1223 4 slide, Cat C15 with ZF 12 spd, 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4 Duramax 6.6[Image: thumbnails.php?album=143] Toad for fishing. 

This may not be appropriate but, One of the features of this site is that there are guru locations with accommodations for travelers.  I would think social distancing could be adhered.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

We have spent time in our 1992 in AZ So Cal summers with ambient temps up to 125F. It was bearable with all 3 ac'S running up to about 115-118F. Inside temps at 80-85F in that range. Over that inside temps push 90-95F. We keep awnings out over windows and patio awning out on curbside unless wind are to high. We keep all black out blinds & shades drawn over windows. Try to orient coach east west so that direct sun only hits roof and 1 end instead of roof and 1 whole side. I said it was bearable, not so much pleasant.