You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Classic Brake Parts

Going through the front brakes on the '86 , finding that parts for  the  Rockwell Q series are not found on every street corner . I have finally gotten new adjusters, air chambers, cam kits , shoe hardware kits , and a shop in Birmingham has relined the shoes . If I could start over I would upgrade to Q Plus , but here I am . Just had the drums turned , was excited at the prospect of finally being able to put everything back together .... then I looked closer at the drums...
One drum didn't clear up completely , and is at the max diameter  ( 16.625) . Both have high spots in the freshly machined surface , no doubt due to local hot / hard spots  that caused their tool to deflect . So the search for new drums resumes ..
The closest thing I have found is the Gunite 2920 X which is very close except for overall height . Just wondering if anyone has found a good source for the brake drums ? 
Hope everyone is staying healthy during this C -19 thing .
Thanks,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Here are some of my part numbers I used on my TOTAL rebuild. I converted to QPlus brakes.
.docx Axle parts List.docx Size: 17.42 KB  Downloads: 39
:

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Thanks for the detailed parts list ! 
I am attaching pictures of the brake drums .
Thanks , Chris

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

@"Johnnyboy"

Thanks for the parts list, not sure how my brakes are, but I'll be looking into them when I get my coach back. Did you look into converting to disk brakes?

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

No, I like the simplicity of the drum style brakes. My system worked well when I went through it. It’s been my experience to KISS. Maintenance and cost are less with drum. I’ve had many motorhomes, some with disc. I think the best in braking is when I had the extra set of brakes on a tag axle, and a transmission retarder, (better in town). Jake better in mountains

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

I managed to get the front brakes back together , wheels on and back on the ground some months ago . No test drive as yet , have been occupied with busy shop , compressor rebuild , belt drive alternator conversion , etc . 
The brakes are straightforward as far as drum brakes go , S cam and air actuation being the biggest departure from the motorcycle brakes I have dealt with most of my life . Oh, and the king sized parts !
Thanks to Johnny for the organized parts listing .
Safely jacking and supporting these heavy vehicles cannot be overstressed .
I will attempt to attach a couple of manuals that I found helpful .
A few pictures added to my gallery , no particular order .
Chris

Attached Files
.pdf mm-4 Meritor Q and Q Plus Service.pdf Size: 1.74 MB  Downloads: 5

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand