You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Save an air spring from blowing out

During my air bag adventure I was forwarded an email that was written by Tuga Gaidry--Guru member. He had had an air spring sprayed with oil and felt that it led to the air bag blowing out. Firestone advises cleaning their air spring bellows if they become contaminated:

Approved cleaning
media are soap and
water, methyl alcohol,
ethyl alcohol and
isopropyl alcohol.

If any of your air springs become contaminated cleaning them with the prescribed solution may save you from a future blow out.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
When I read the above title, I got a completely different idea.
Excellent posts on your adventures.
My one additional thought is to carry one or two of the old bags as spares. My experience is that if you have a spare, you'll never need it.

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

I understand your confusion, but I agree with your idea. If any one changes a good air bag on your coach, please don't toss it. Sometimes these extra parts do act like lucky charms! I was given a used drive axle air spring by Ron Skeen, Guru member and thank you very much!, and it was invaluable in my search to find my air spring numbers. When I change my air springs I will save one and give the others to members who own similar coaches.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(02-18-2013, 02:57 PM)rheavn Wrote:  I understand your confusion, but I agree with your idea. If any one changes an air bag on your coach, please don't toss it. Sometimes these extra parts do act like lucky charms!

I change all 10 air bags last year to make them all Firestones. Newell had change a couple of bags over the last 5 years and use goodyear. I did not like having good years and Firestone mixed so I have a couple of fairly new goodyears and older firestones take offs I also changed all ride heights valves, both six packs and manifolds, all oneway airvalves, and auto bleed valves. Let me know if anyone need anything for spares.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

Ron, I'd love to go through what you have for spares and I would pass any I don't need to others who do. Could you bring it to Spearfish??? or I'll pay for shipping.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(02-18-2013, 03:42 PM)rheavn Wrote:  Ron, I'd love to go through what you have for spares and I would pass any I don't need to others who do. Could you bring it to Spearfish??? or I'll pay for shipping.
I am sorted of tied up for the next few weeks, but I will go through what I have and can shipped to you. I am cleaning out my coach and will be going through what I have and don't know that I do. I will keep only what I need for the spares for myself and send to you to disperse. I have been trying to get out of TN for the last 2 months but as doctors appointment and unforeseeable incidents I probably won't leave home until the first of April. I am working on an aluminum 24' foot open trailer to carry RZR, RAM, and Goldwing on so if I get in situations, I can back up or unhook and pull with the ram.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

I have 5 brand new MAC valves. I assumed the set up front and in the back were the same. I have not looked at the ones up front yet and the mechanic said they are not correct. He does not think they leak anyway so he recommended I not buy them until I need them.. So we used 5 in the back and I have 5 more like those brand new. I will put a post with the model number and maybe a pic on the thread for parts.

Todd & Dawn Flickema
Former owners of a Classic 1984 Newell
71 Karmann Ghia
Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Ron,
Beggars can't be choosers. Rest assured that anything that I can't use I will take to Spearfish and distribute to Gurus who can................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thlis seems like the perfect place to mention this.... One of the guys on the Prevost group took his old, but still functional, air bag and installed some quick disconnect fittings and swears it is a great jack and will lift about anything. What a cool idea. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004