You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

I've been buffing the bus today to get ready to go to Newell on the 12th to have the slide out seal replaced. Generator was running with the AC and I smelled something funny. Went inside and it was full of smoke. Started at the front right bay and the AC bay was blazing as soon as I opened the door.

I think the plywood on top of the AC was what was flaming but it started at the wires on top of the electrical board.

Any idea if I can find the parts I need to fix this?

I think mice may have chewed some wires...

FYI the AC was still running and blowing cold when I shut down the generator.

Thanks for any advice!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Rick Edgell
1998 Newell 45ft 2 Slide #467

rick,

if the board is ok (and it looks like it) then the wires should be not a huge deal to replace. its hard to tell where they are charred. but the wires just go to the inside compressors and fan, thermostat and incoming power. you may have to put a junction box to splice the incoming power.

all can be cut out, spliced and replaced. you will likely need to take the aircon unit out. not a big deal either. i can get mine out in less than and hour easily and richard can probably do it in 10 minutes.

i will email you my phone number

all this is assumming there was no other source of the fire or issues.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

richard and i conferenced with rick and have him started on the right path

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I am underway with repairs. A big thanks to Tom and Richard!  I have the unit out and in the garage.

I think I will add a junction box to the wall in the bay to get the unit connected back up. I had to cut all the wires back about 3” outside of the unit. I will also add a weather pack plug for the thermostat wires.

I am now looking for the exact info on the 4 capacitors and the 2 start assists.

I’ll keep everyone updated as I make progress.

Rick Edgell

Tom just sent me these specs for the capacitors.  Now to figure out the 2 start assist. Hope this helps others too.  For $20 I wish I would have replaced these a couple times already...

Rick Edgell

Rick, the start assist on my unit are Ceramite #305C20. They are still available on-line.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Thanks David. Doing a little reading. Sounds like these are a cheap device and have a very high failure rate. When the fail they blow up or catch fire... wonder if that was the start of the fire? Looks like AC guys replace them with other hard start units that are more reliable.

Rick Edgell

Got the board plugs ready to connect to the new capacitors and installed a junction box in the bay.

Rick Edgell